+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Horn River

Default Big Horn River

I just found out some friends are going out to the Big Horn River for a week, leaving on July 11th & decided to go. I've never been out there so I need info on what to tie, equipment needed, weather & any other info you think I need.

Thank's
    Neil

The Big Horn is a blast to fish. It is full of scuds and sow bugs. Try the Ray Charles in Grey, Tan, Olive, Pink, and Orange
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac022304.php
    http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...m?parentID=141

I do well with Soft Hackles in the same colors, in sizes 18 thru 14.
    Baetis nymphs and emergers are also a good bet. I use an RS2 to cover both, or throw in a PT nymph. Both in sizes 20 thru 14.

Theres always Midges around, so tie a few larva and emergers up.

For Streamers all I have thrown there are Brown Slumpbusters and Black or Olive Woolly Buggers.

Drys? I never had to resort to them for fish on the BH

I throw a 5wt for nymphs and a 6 for Streamers, while my buddy throws a 4wt for nymphs.

It's Montana, so be ready for blazing hot temps, to wet and cold.

All of the above is good information. A 5 or 6 Wt. rod, 3-5x leader and tippet. You can look here for reports and flies:

www.bighorntroutshop.com

www.cottonwoodcampbighorn.com

Ray Charles is a top producer, small flies catch big fish! Midge patterns, SJ Worms, and you may want to tie some hopper patterns as Montana is supposed to have a bumper crop of the pest this year.

Weather should be pretty good but be prepared! Water flow will hopefully have dropped a little. It's running high right now, the dropping water will help if you are wading.

Be prepared to have a slow day or two until you learn the river and the fish, after that it should be a blast!

Also, it's a weedy river, be sure to check your flies every couple of casts to make sure you aren't trailing weeds.

I love fishing the Big Horn but I hate to nymph. I use a 7 wt with a sink tip line and size 4 wooley buggers between hatches and fish drys when the fish are looking up.

Michael Mastrangelo at Fort Smith Fly Shop and Cabins is a top notch guide. His wife Ellyn is an awesome cook and their cabins are a great value.
    http://www.flyfishingthebighorn.com

Took my first trip to the Big Horn this spring and it was a blast! We caught a lot of fish and had a great time. The lodge we stayed at really took care of us with spacious rooms and tremendous meals, it was called Big Horn Country Lodge and is owned and operated by Karl and Trudy Burns, some of the best folks I've ever met. Here's their link: http://www.bhcountrylodge.com/?page=home

As for flies, we really got into them on dry flies, but the BWO's were popping at that time. In the riffles we caught them almost exclusively on tan Ray Charles, and they were some really great fish on that size #16 bug. If you want to read about my trip and see some pics, as well as get a feel for what to expect, here is a link to my earlier post here at FAOL of my trip: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...id-2010/page11 You'll need to scroll down to get to the Big Horn post.

Best of luck in your planning and your trip.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

During my 4 trips there, I've caught almost all of my fish subsurface. You can fish dries and the fly shop there in Ft Smith will know what is hatching (PMDs, Caddis, etc) and have it posted on their chalkboard, but be ready to hit the scuds, copper johns and Hare's Ears if you want to stay busy...and you will!
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

+ Reply to Thread