+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wear your glasses while fishing!

Default wear your glasses while fishing!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/567/ I'm seeing a lot of pictures on the board of flyfishers who aren't wearing glasses. Maybe they just took them off for the picture but I think it is time to post this again.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 06-13-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

My wife and family members often comment on how much better my pictures would look if I took my sunglasses off when I posed. When I'm fishing (or mowing, or cutting brush, etc.) they are always there, always a part of my face. I don't really think about them being there. I even have a pair of clear shooting glasses that I wear in low light conditions. You only have one pair of eyes, and it's not just hooks, there's UV damage, sticks, bugs, all kinds of things that can wreck havoc if your eyes aren't protected. Thanks for the reminder.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Jim thanks for sharing such an important safety tip. Hopefully the graphic video will help us all to remember our eye protection not only at work but while out having fun on the water.
    Remember we all live down stream

God I hate that video...I've seen it a few times over the past year and it never gets better lol

I always wear my fit-overs when fishing, they actually saved my eye one time for sure. About 8-10 yrs ago I had a salmon on the line on the PM and had a full bend in the 8wt....hook poped out and the split shot came flying right back at me and smacked me dead center of the lens on my left eye cracking the lens. Hate to think what would have happened if I didn't have my glasses on that day.

Steve

I saw this happen one year fishing the Yellowstone. A young kid put the fly right in his eye - the family quickly packed up and headed for the docs. I bet it ruined that vacation.

I always say if your foolish enough to forget the wide brimmed hat well you'll learn that ear-ring hurts, but the eye is another story, don't even think about fishing the fly around me without glasses.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I not only wear glasses and hat while fly fishing, but especially when target shooting with my pistols. I have had a number of shell casings from my semi-auto pistols bounce off of my glasses and hat when doing a rapid fire exercises. My Walther p22 is the worst for this, and the shell casings are HOT as well. Good post, Jim. Safety cannot be stressed enough in our sports.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread