+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gasper-Goo

Hybrid View

Default Gasper-Goo

Here in Texas we have a Freshwater Drum we call a Gasper-Goo,anyone familiar with eem?
    He is the only Purple fish I ever saw and get really big in Lake Brownwood and at Texoma as well.
    I fried one up and what a waste,it was like chewin rubber...I felt guilty about takin it home.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

You said it was a drum? And it was bad eats? around here, drum are trash, its one of those fish that conservation doesnt care what you do with it. Ive never seen a purple one and i hear drum in general are terrible no matter how you cook them. you live, you learn
    David

I have heard of people eating goo, but I don't know how they were fixed. Possibly as a fish stew? Going by how they smell when you pull em up, I don't think I'll ever try one. They stink!
    DB, they are also called black drum. Depending on the water they are taken from, they can be anywhere from dark silver to dark purple.

From the TPWD Pamphlet:
    "Although freshwater drum is considered a rough fish by many anglers, it is prized as a food fish in some areas. Drum are also sought after as bait for other species. In Texas the rod and reel record exceeds 30 pounds, and the trotline record is 55 pounds."

Kirk

we have those in mississippi along with another favorite....the grennel..every year we hold a "trash fish" tournament and have a lot of fun. i still wouldnt eat one lol
    '
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

any chance of a picture of this critter? we have a freshwater drum up here. Mostly silver, but often with a purplish tint. Taken out of clean water and prepared right, ours can be pretty tasty. Just wondering if it's the same fish.Here's a pic of ours
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bluegill222; 06-13-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Bluegill,
    That's him. As a matter of fact, the last one I caught was just about that size. Silly thing hit a spinner bait out in the middle of Sam Rayburn. I'm still trying to figure out what he was doing way out there.

Kirk

+ Reply to Thread