+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4wt - Birch bark handle

Hybrid View

Default 4wt - Birch bark handle

Hello everyone. Thought I would share some images of my newest project. This is a 4 pc 4wt built on the Cabelas PT+ blank which has a nice moderate action for those of you that like lazy casting strokes such as myself. The handle is my first attempt at using birch bark. Lots of work but I do enjoy the finished product. I think I will use birch bark again soon. The handle consists of Stabilized maple burl at the ends, blank walnut trim pieces, two pieces of brown burl cork and birch bark in the center. The reel seat is a Lemke which I turned a stabilized maple burl insert for. The guides are H&H. I typically put either a decorative wrap or a feather inlay on my rods, but I wanted the handle to be the center of attention on this one. I also put a hook keeper on this which is uncommon for me. But since I plan on using this for very small dry flies I thought it would be easier than hooking it to the stripping guide which is quite heavy wire.
    Your honest opinions are much appreciated, and I gladly accept constructive criticism

Thanks for looking.
    Matt
    Last edited by yonks311; 06-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

VERY NICE! If it doesn't meet with your expectations, I know where you can 'pitch' it!

My only suggestion would be to have used something darker for the trim rings to better set off the burl cork. The dark pieces of birch bark and the dark maple tend to overshadow them. Perhaps thin black plastic of some sort. I am trying to find time to turn one of reddish brown pine bark that I have stabilized and glued up. I just happened to have a thin piece of white plexiglass available and cut trim rings from that. I have no earthly idea how well it will turn; by will soon find out! Will post my results, and comments when done.

Cheers,
    aged sage

Blog Entries

Very Nice

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Beautiful job.

Dave

Criticism? You want criticism? Um, Sorry nothing to criticize. Nice job!

Beaver

Beautiful, beautiful build!! My favorite rod has a birch bark grip made for me by Mike Popick. I love the way the grip warms to your hand while casting!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Bass_Bug Guest

Cant say anything more about the great handle that hasn't already been said. But I'll say VERY nicely done anyway. But what also strikes are the wraps. Just about every custom rod the folks here post pics of are always top notch, but the wraps and finish on this rod look like a factory finish. I mean, there is just nothing better that could be done.

Another great job Yonks!!!!!

Baitwaister - I look forward to seeing that grip you are talking about. I love the look of bubinga.....tough as nails wood though and a pain to turn....at least in my experience. I turned a bowl out of bubinga once....key word being ONCE. I did harvest the bark for my grip. Came from a tree from my childhood home that my dad has slated for cutting down. I have since though purchased some pre-cut pieces for the next rod....

+ Reply to Thread