+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who Uses Furled or Twisted Leaders?

Hybrid View

Default Who Uses Furled or Twisted Leaders?

I know the topic has been discussed to death here at FAOL, but I was just wondering how many FAOLers are now using furled and/or twisted type leaders for their fishing. Along with that I'd like to hear how you feel about them. I am not wanting to start a debate over furled versus regular leaders, or furled versus twisted leaders. I'm just curious as to how many on this board now use those types of leaders and what you think of them, as well as what applications work the best for you.

I've been twisting my own leaders now for about five years and have been extremely happy with them and wouldn't trade them. I have also participated in a furled leader swap and was pleasantly surprised at the variety of furled leaders out there with some real standouts as to quality and performance. I have made leaders from four feet long to 18-feet long (spring creek and spooky fish) for everything from small trout to silver salmon.

What say you?

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Me!! I love 'em! I usually fish with a 5 foot furled, tippet ringed, leader, and they serve their purpose beautifully. For me, they make a gentle presentation to spooky trouts in small stream.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

For my money you can't beat a furled leader especially if its made by Mr. Hise. Turns over very nice. They also have tippet rings which make for nice fast connections.
    Remember we all live down stream

Cold Guest

Been fishing furled leaders almost exclusively. 2 leaders for every rod. One untreated with a green perfection loop of PowerPro on the end. One treated with watershed and mucilin, with a red perfection loop of powerpro on the end. Wets and dries.

Only exception is great lakes steel fishing, where a flawless drift along the bottom is 90% of the game, and abrasion resistance is the other 10. Then i go with a heavy 2X tapered fluoro leader.

I love them I mainly fish warm water and have several made out of red "cajin line" and the show up great on the water. They are also very strong for going throught weeds and brush while trying to pull slab out of the water.
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I've been using furled leaders for about 4 years now and think they're great. Not the perfect leader in all situations, but for 99% of my fishing they are the ticket. I've been using the same leader (made from mono) on my 5 wgt since I started. No signs of wear yet.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread