+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BROWN REED TROUT! - Readers Cast (Ron Tidd) - June 14, 2010

Blog Entries

Default BROWN REED TROUT! - Readers Cast (Ron Tidd) - June 14, 2010

BROWN REED TROUT!

Life has been somewhat eventful as of late. A new job, lots of cool new projects (still ongoing) at my old job, and Dee up and moving to Montana on me.

I decided some time ago to start learning some of this fly tying, fly fishing stuff that I keep reading about, so I mentioned to Denny that I was thinking of starting to learn to tie flies.*The response I got was nothing short of overwhelming to say the least. Time however has been an enemy (with everything that has been going on). I may have all the materials and implements of destruction, but no free time to actually learn.

I am really sorry we had to miss the CWFI. Watching you hook up with a 40 inch Brown Reed Trout would have been a sight for these old eyes. Congratulations on getting a chance to unwind a bit and get in some casting practice.

You know, you could really unwind, practice casting and fly tying at the Idaho Fish-In this fall. Heck, bring the family and make it a family vacation. Last full week in September.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Ron,
    Someday You will have to make it to the Michigan Fish-In and Ed Dillion and I will teach You the "Finer Points" of Catching the "Elusive and Deadly Tree Trouts"! Ed is the "Master" and I am but a Apprentice

Good to see you had a great 1st time out! Those pics brought back some great memeories, fishing Central Washington and driving that same road, catching that exact same view. Those brown reed trout are a bugger to get in the creel:^) Thanks much for your report on the travels!

Do not let Our Geek fool ya. With the help casting he had on the grass at the camp ground and with his fishing he did on Rocky Ford with Kenny & I, Ron actually laid out some very impressive casts. It was fun for me to watch him grow as a new Fly Fisher. I keep telling him "do not break your wrist on the back cast".
    Rocky Ford is one of the most difficult waters to learn on if one wants to catch those big fish. He done good!
    Both Kenny & I, plus our two Jack Russells enjoyed the time Ron spent with us.
    This past Friday Ron had the opportunity to stop by the Ranch and help us feed & water. He also got to look over the new crop of little chicks.
    He also got to walk around and drool over the brood stock. Just wish our weather had been better because the plans were for us to take the canoe and toons out for a "chase the high Mtn Lake fish". There will be a time in the future. Both Kenny & I have been working on him to attend the ID FI in Sept. Hopefully his new job will allow him the time. Rest assured in the near future he will be teaching fly casting.
    Denny

Now all you have to do is catch a tree fish and then you can get to the real things.
    Glad you got out

Rick

This is what one of my buddies thinks is funny! You think you are afraid of rattlesnakes... wait until you make a water moccasin mad at you they try to climb your line into your boat! Anyway this guy tries to catch snakes when they get close to him and he sometimes does it...

I know you've heard of someone walking on water, but have you ever seen it ..?

P5070078.jpgP5070079.jpgP5070080.jpg

Blog Entries

that's just wrong.

mahanvey,

At certain times we used to see rafts of cotton mouths in a few lakes in NC. Coulda been a couple hundred of them in one raft, maybe more. Hate to fall into that mess. I hooked one while fishing for crappie. He did indeed try to climb up my leader and line to get to me. First time I ever cut a fly line. I let him have the fly, leader, about 15 feet of line and the whole pond.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread