+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post Titles rant...

Hybrid View

Default Post Titles rant...

Been thinking about this for sometime and Bass Bugs' rant spurred me on.

I wish folks would include in the title of their post at least some sort of key word.
    A post that starts out say..."Happy Days"....gives no indication what it's truly about ...and also it is hard enough to search this BB with a known subject or title ....if key words were included we might be able to find a thread that we want to reference later.

A good thread deserves a good title.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 06-11-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Blog Entries

I agree. for example if you need help fishing in Wa State put, a title of fishing help needed Washington state.
    This way the people who know about Wa can help you and the people in AR don't have to open it to find out it doesn't apply to them.
    If you have an xyz rod for sale put for sale xyz 6' 3wt. not just rod for sale, this way the guy looking for a 9wt doesn't waste time opening the thread.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Normand Guest

To error is human , Norm, I try...but you got me on the first 2 but not the last 2 ...they are very specific.

I don't know if it is my browser or what, but if I stop my pointer on the title it will give me the first few lines of the post.

knucks

I believe a title should catch a person attention, but not necessarily be indicative of the actual content found within.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by knucks View Post
    I don't know if it is my browser or what, but if I stop my pointer on the title it will give me the first few lines of the post.

knucks
    This a function of the board software and can be turned on or off by the administator. I find to be one of the most useful features of the software.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Bass_Bug Guest

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks a fair amount of common sense should be exercised on-line. Sites like this are primarily an information repository. Without common sense and proper 'netiquette (yes it's a real word) it's like going to the library and there not being any kind of catalog.

I agree with Tyrone, the subject should BE the subject with basic detail. "Rod for sale" is sufficient in my opinion. If I'm looking for a new 8wt, who's to say a deal on a 6wt might not catch my eye? On the other hand a post labeled "what a beauty?" could refer to anything. THOSE are the kind of subjects that make searching darn near impossible.

One word or "abrupt" titles is/are my style. It's bait. And, like other forms of bait, not all catch fish and I'm prepared for that. But then again, I'm not selling anything. And , TF, I'd open "what a beauty" without ANY hesitation

Mark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    I agree with Tyrone, the subject should BE the subject with basic detail. "Rod for sale" is sufficient in my opinion. If I'm looking for a new 8wt, who's to say a deal on a 6wt might not catch my eye? On the other hand a post labeled "what a beauty?" could refer to anything. THOSE are the kind of subjects that make searching darn near impossible.
    More specific titles will get a better response. "for sale" sucks, "rod for sale" better, 8 wt rod for sale much better. Many people on FAOL don't have a lot of time, if you don't catch their attention with the thread title, they wont read the thread. I don't read the for sale section of FAOL. I come in and scan all the thread titles posted since the last time I came in. I see the titles but I never open vague titles. If you want to sell to me to someone like me make it specific. this is of course unless HRH Betty posts then its an automatic read.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread