+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend a tying light

Question Please recommend a tying light

Hi guys. I know you will be able to provide loads of opinions. Any recommendations for a new tying light? I've been using a McKenzie Bright Light for about ten years now and really like it, but the replacement bulbs are rather expensive and the light itself gets really, really hot (I've burned my forehead on more than one occasion getting a bit too close, much to my wife's amusement). Usually I only get about three months out of a bulb. I've been considering an Ott Light but I'm a little uncertain on it. I've tried a "knock-off" daylight lamp before and hated it. It just didn't give me nearly the illumination I'd like. Is there a difference between the knock-offs and the real thing? I see that Ott lights come in several different wattages - 13, 15, 20. I'm assuming that I'd want 20, correct?

I tie loads of flies (about 2,000 to 3,000 a year) and almost never tie anything smaller than a #14, with #18 to #20 being my most common sizes, so the light will get plenty of use. For those of you experienced with them, how long does an Ott light bulb typically last?

Any opinions on other lights would be welcome as well. So, please help me pick a new light.

Thanks,

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Darryl,
    I've had the Ott light with the flexible neck for about 5 years, and everyone in my house used it so much, I bought 2 more just so I could have one. The original light is still going strong and I haven't had to replace a bulb yet. We use them for all kinds of things, scale modeling, scrapbooking, homework, and my fly tying bench. I wholeheartedly endorse the Ott light.
    IMHO, Al Hyde

I've had an OttLite floor model with a 5 inch magnifying glass attached. I've had it for almost a year now. I also recommend the OttLite.100_1387.jpg

I have the base mount with magnifier I use at home, but I picked up this light at a department store for half price and LOVE it. Small and bright and takes the same bulb as my desk light WHICH is going on 6 years.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAw#ps-sellers

I tied with an OTT-Lite for more than 8 years, never replaced the bulb. I needed something easier to transport about 4 years so I could take it to tying expos. I settled on a Daylight brand lamp with magnifyer. The original OTT-lite is till going strong and is being used as a home tying lite for VEE with her Wasatch J-Vise. The Daylight lamp uses a similar bulb as the OTT and is still going strong. What I really like about both lamps is a lack of heat (yup, I had a Girrafe light and burned myself too), the almost shadowless light is really nice too.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Normand Guest

daylight brand for me

672320.jpg

I have used an articulated arm lighted magnifier for several years and like it. That being said, I picked up an Ott light on sale at Hobby Lobby and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I ended up going back and buying the larger Ott light with a built in magnifier for my shop. It was on sale at Hobby Lobby for $31.99 marked down from $139.99. It does't seem to put out as much light, but between the magnifier and the light it is a terrific light, especially at the sale price. I suggest you check both Hobby Lobby and Lowes for the Ott lights on sale.

Jim Smith

Is that Daylight Lamp made by Ott?

Hobby Lobby is apparently closing out their Ott lights. I picked up one a few weeks ago for $17 marked down from $70.

Dave

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Is that Daylight Lamp made by Ott?
    no, its made by daylight!

2 different brands, most likely the same bulb
    Last edited by Normand; 06-10-2010 at 03:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread