A few days ago I posted an updated version of JC's Salmonfly which I first tied and successfully fished about this time last year. The updated version has been submitted as a FOTW candidate, tied as shown below.

The original version, along with its companions the LF Golden Stone and the FEB Hopper, was a very low riding fly. I think that is partly why all three of them proved so successful. At some point, I chanced to take a look at these patterns in a clear glass full of water. What with the furled extended body and all the antennae, tails, and three sets of legs dangling below the low riding fly, there was all kinds of things going to attract the fishies.

Got to thinking, however, that it would be well to have a fly with a bit more buoyancy for rougher water. Decided to experiment by trimming the loose ends of the antron f.e.b. after it was tied in and tying in a rather slim orange foam strip on the under side of the fly.

After tying in both foam strips back to the near end of the f.e.b. and the "tails", I tied in two sets of legs with appropriate spacing. I then pulled the underside orange foam strip forward to just ahead of the legs and tied it to the shank. Advanced the thread to just behind the tie in point for the antennae and then brought the underside foam strip forward, tied it down and trimmed it.

The next step was to bring the topside brown foam strip forward to its forward tie in point and tie it securely to the hook. From that point on, it was a matter of completing the fly with the deer hair wing and the foam bullethead.

Took the fly down to my local testing grounds.

Besides this little guy, which chased the fly several feet downstream before catching it and eating it, I had another trout on and off, several splashy hits which didn't hook up, and four or five fish which came for a look but refused the fly. The real satisfaction was how well and long the fly floated in the faster, heavier current. When it did sink in the really rough stuff, simply pulling up and reestablishing a good dead drift got it to floating nicely again. And the real reward was having a good sized fish come up from the fastest and deepest water I drifted the fly over and hit it. Never mind that he didn't eat it. That wasn't the fly's fault.

John