+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please recommend a tying light

I would not use anything less than 18 watts and would go higher if possible.

I have a Daylight which was just fine....but am currently using a daylight type from Home Depot for $20...just too good to pass up.

Cold Guest

First of all.

I...almost never tie anything smaller than a #14, with #18 to #20 being my most common sizes...
    You, sir, win the daily "whaaa?".

As far as the light, though, I got the simple Ott desk lamp with the 13w tube on sale at JoAnn's over the winter and now I wonder how I ever got along without it. 100% better (and easier on the eye fatigue) than any incandescent setup.

I bought this lamp a few months ago........ I really like it!
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...able-Lamp.html
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    First of all.

You, sir, win the daily "whaaa?".

As far as the light, though, I got the simple Ott desk lamp with the 13w tube on sale at JoAnn's over the winter and now I wonder how I ever got along without it. 100% better (and easier on the eye fatigue) than any incandescent setup.
    LOL. I tie semi-commercially and it seems my orders all are in the #18-#20 sizes. Don't get me wrong, I tie a good deal of 14 and 16's as well. One of my most productive flies around here is a #18 Stimulator. It's not nearly as difficult to tie as you might think. The hardest part is getting the amount of hair for the wing correct - most people want to put in far more than you need (or will fit on a #18 TMC 200R), once you've got that down, the rest is relatively easy.

Thanks guys for all the replies, they've been really beneficial. I'm thinking that I'm going to take a ride to some of the craft shops this weekend and check out the different OTT lights.

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I bought the ott light at home depot. it is battery powered so I can use it for when the power goes out or have it plugged in. As lighting I like it better than the magnifier light I was using. Made in China, of course.

I use an Ott light and a Stay-Put Work Lamp, also called a Giraffe light. I prefer the Giraffe for tying at home because it is brighter than the Ott and is easier to move out of the way by pushing it up. It isn't color corrected for daylight like the Ott, though. It's really warm but probably not as hot as a Mackenzie I felt once and the version I have has the heat rising out of the top, not the bottom or sides. I also do some woodturning and bought mine first for that purpose from http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com where it's called a Stay-Put Work Lamp. You can see it branded as a Giraffe here: http://www.giraffelamps.com/fly.htm

I have a mount for it on the tying bench and at the woodturning lathe and move it to where I need it. The chip deflector is probably overkill for your fly tying, by the way! They make a matching magnifier. The Ott is great for tying away from home.

Peace,
    Diane

I use an Ott lite for my traveling but for a desk light this is the nicest one that I have seen: http://www.giraffelamps.com/fly.htm

Well, picked up an 18 Watt Ott Light yesterday at Joanne (with a 50% off coupon). Tried it last night with several flies....a #14 Parachute Adams, a #18 Stimulator and a #24 Olive Midge. It was okay for the two bigger flies, but the #24 was very difficult to see, particularly the olive thread. It just seems way too dim with when compared to the amount of light I got out of the McKenzie Bright Light. Retuned the Ott Light to Joann this afternoon, so the quest for a new light continues. With the amount of folks that use the Ott Lights, I'm sure they're a great product...it just doesn't suit me.

Any input on other lights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

+ Reply to Thread