+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass bug sculpting/trimming

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Bass bug sculpting/trimming

I am sure someone must have mentioned this before, but as I wasn't able to find double-edged razors handy I started using an Xacto knife to trim my bass bugs. It works great! Just as sharp, and easier to hold and handle than a razor blade I think. Plus, there are different shapes of blade for cutting different angles. And the replacement blades are pretty cheap.
    Took me a few worn-out pairs of scissors before I thought of that so I just though I'd mention it in hopes it might save others some time and dull scissor blades as well.
    Last edited by AlbaSurf; 06-10-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Edited because I accidentally left the "b" off of "bass". LoL
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Do you get much life out of a blade before you have to replace it? I had trouble finding double-edged blades until I went on-line and found them pretty cheap on EBay I prefer them and a good pair of serrated hair scissors, but that's just my opinion. If you get the results you want with the X-acto that's what matters. Love to see some pics of your creations.

Regards,
    Scott

Double edge at the dollar store. the double edge allow you to bend them and shape the round parts of the hair with ease.
    Steve

Don't you guys have Walgreen's or CVS or something?

Bass_Bug Guest

Like Scott say's, if your way works that's all that matters. But also bending the flexible blades gives you more options. so dont change TO double edge blades, just add them to your arsenal.

I but them at Wal-Mart. ONE little hook in the 10 feet plus isle space of disposable razors, takes a while to find them but they are there. Every drugstore (Walgreen, CVS, RiteAid etc.) should carry them.

also look for the Stonefly blade holder, MUCH safer than working with a plain blade.
    http://www.veniard.com/s_product_ima...%20trimmer.jpg

Pretty sure the cost per blade is less @ Wal-Mart than even @ the Dollar store.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    Like Scott say's, if your way works that's all that matters. But also bending the flexible blades gives you more options. so dont change TO double edge blades, just add them to your arsenal.

I but them at Wal-Mart. ONE little hook in the 10 feet plus isle space of disposable razors, takes a while to find them but they are there. Every drugstore (Walgreen, CVS, RiteAid etc.) should carry them.

also look for the Stonefly blade holder, MUCH safer than working with a plain blade.
    http://www.veniard.com/s_product_ima...%20trimmer.jpg
    Thanks so much! I will try these out on my next bug!
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I am surprised you cannot find double edge razor blades. I walked into one store, found them and made a purchase.

Anyway.....double edged blades can be held in an exacto knife handle and used safely. They can also be broken in half long ways and used like a single blade.....and probably in an exacto knife handle.

May be very very difficult to find...but in the very old days there was a double edged blade sharpener. It is brand name Bello. "Bello Blade Sharpener". I know one fellow who educated me on it. He says he has been using the same blade for 5 years. And he is in bass territory.....no trout. He ties a LOT of deer hair poppers, and mice. So he uses the blade a lot. Still seems to be lasting for him.

Bugman is so way cool.

I was able to purchase one off ebay. But I don't see one on Ebay anymore. It looks like a pencil sharpener. It has a slide out mount. Place blade on the slide out and slide it in. Inside are two rollers that appear to be made out of leather or something. Sort of like sharpening a razor in the old days with a combiner belt. Anyway you crank the handle back and forth and the two rollers manage to sharpen both edges of the double edge razor blade.

I bought the only two I found on ebay. Not intentionally. I traded questions and answers with the seller of one of them. He did not know much about it. I told him how to check it out. He already had it packaged for shipment. He took it back out and removed the cover and checked it out. I felt very confident about this one so I bought it at the "Buy It Now" price.

I had bid on the only other one at $11 shipped but did not expect to win that bid. I paid approx $27 for the other one. Partially because it is just a neat tool to have...and you always know where your double edged blade IS. Anyway I won the $11 one also. Then the paypal pmt didn't go through to the seller and so she gifted it to me. FREE! I'm gonna send her some bucks anyway.

I know...someone is going to say they can buy a lot of blades for $27. That's ok. I wanted one and I got one. It is so cool to own and use in my opinion. And I am not even into antiques and such. But I really like this tool.

Sorry to ramble. I am giving one to a good friend of mine. So I don''t know how one could find one. But a neat tool and fun to own.

Just FYI for those who don't know about them and or might find one in an antique shop.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 07-25-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Not to bend this thread but when you trim deer hair heads that have the hair fibers slanting back it seems very convenient for me to use serrated scissors and trim from the rear direction.This also helps to avoid cutting the rearmost fibers that you want to avoid as on a Muddler.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I am weird. I use an electric mustache trimmer. It's fast, neat and precise.

+ Reply to Thread