+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cold front slowed things down a bit here

Default cold front slowed things down a bit here

Lake St Clair slowed up a bit yesterday with a minor cold front making its way through and big puffy white clouds. Went out to least rockbass and largemouth. Once i got there I knew it was going to be challenging. No one...i mean no one, was getting a thing! No white bass, no birds, nothing...first couple casts in the rocks netted me a decent yellow perch using a small clouser type streamer made of natural rabbit strip. I thought I was off to the races but the same spots 10 days ago the held an endless amount of fish had nothing. Several hours later I ended up with 6 small largemouth and the perch. A C. O. checking licenses said that he didnt see anyone catching anything and said that i had what they wanted. Always feels good to be vindicated as a fly fishermen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No one...i mean no one, was getting a thing! No white bass, no birds, nothing...

BIRDS! When did people start fishing for birds!
    Nice going though, it's good to hear about a fly fisherman coming out on top. I'm assuming you were the only fly fisherman out there, that's what it sounded like.

Fishin' squirt,
    Michael E.
    "Tell me and I forget,
    Teach me and I remember,
    Involve me and I learn."

~~Benjamin Franklin~~

Im not sure about southern lakes but up here in MI early in the year the white bass school up big time and push all the bait fish up to the surface. One way of locating them on a big lake is to look for the sea gulls..not the big fat flying carp thatll eat anything dead but the smaller faster ones that actually work for their food. Once you find the gulls working an area usually the white bass will be there...Although I have caught a sea gull once on a false cast..lol Yes, I was the only fly fisherman there..I think im the only one in the state that warm water fly fishes...I can count on one hand the fly fisherman I have seen on the lake.

+ Reply to Thread