+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still water techniques and flies podcast with Brian Chan

Default Still water techniques and flies podcast with Brian Chan

Well, here we go again. I've got a podcast interview lined up with Brian Chan in early July to discuss still water techniques and flies.

It will be a question and answer format again, so please, send in your questions. Again, we may not have time to get to all the questions, but we will do our best. I will be closing the thread for questions about a week before I do the interview, so get them in now.

Keep coming up with great interview suggestions. I'll continue to do my best to get them on.

TT.

I'm having a hard time believing that nobody has a still water question or two. Please, feel free to ask them all,

Thanks,
    TT.

How do you attach a dropper to a floating fly without it getting all tangled up?
    What flies do you use related to water temperature or time of the season?

Do nymphs and other insects stay in different depths in the water column?
    If it's so, for how long time do they stay at a given depth and what influences this?

What triggers a hatch, air tempurature, water tempurature, sunshine, air pressure?

Thorarinn

What is your preferred way of fishing chironomids?

What is the best way to weed-proof a fly? And will this way work with all size flys?

TT,

I am looking forward to this podcast. I have a few questions. When fishing deep, does Brian prefer a full sinking line, sinking tip, other and why? How does one determine what fly to use in deeper waters on an unfamilar lake? I find midge patterns work really well along the shoreline at around sunrise and sunset, but after that I have a devil of a time figuring out what will make them strike. Any suggestions? When fishing still waters is it best to fish just below the surface, mid column or near the bottom?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I've been reading a British book nephew Tom Travis brought back from his latest trip to the Dutch Fly Fair and I'd like Brian's take on fishing soft hackles in the first few inches of the lake surface.
    LF

Ask him....when fishing a new lake/reservoir...with a floating device...with no prior knowledge of it....what would be your approach....flies....lines...depths...etc.?

If you are targeting trophy trout would you change your tactics and if so how would you do it?

+ Reply to Thread