+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Central Wisconsin trout streams?

Default Central Wisconsin trout streams?

Howdy anglers --

Every year at the same time, I attend a small wind power conference in Stevens Point, then I lecture at the big Energy Fair. I'll be there next week, and have Thursday off to fish.

Any suggestions on where to flyfish a trout river for a day?

I'm reading about the Mecan and Little Wolf, but I can't find much about fishing access areas.

Any information appreciated!

DANBOB

danbob
    The Little Wolf above and below Big Falls has some public access. One I remember is at the junction of County C and County J. Another is east of Big Falls where County C borders it for a mile or two. Search out Flume Creek and the Tomorrow (Waupaca) River for some decent fishing. Out of 'Point take Wisconsin 66 through Rosholt to Wisconsin 49 north and have some fun.. Let us know how you fared. I love the area. I lived outisde of Iola for 5 years; nice rivers - wonderful people.
    mcsteff

I fish Southwest Wisconsin so can't help specifically but check this:

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/regulations/2...outsalmon.html

Get a map and try to target category 5 water (red on the map). Although in SWW, green (category 3?) tends to be very good as well.

You are allowed access at any bridge. The rule is "feet wet" except to get around obstructions. As you drive, you may see other access (such as a ladder going over a farmer's barbed wire fence). He's sold access to the DNR.

Blog Entries

Why, I'm surprised at you fellows. Misleading a nice person into believing there are trout in Wisconsin? Come on now- we all know that we catch lovely Wisconsin spotted dace! And already covered with cheese!

Chuck

Thanks folks --

It *is* a very nice area, and I had a sneaking suspicion there were trouts about! No longer does my annual wisconsin business trip have to lack fishing!

I was able to find some nice large DNR maps that I can print out, thanks to your tips.

DANBOB

My recommendation is to fish the evenings. Water has been low although the rivers are dirty right now due to recent rains. Fishing can be very tough during the mid day. I was out last night an there were fish rising everywhere. We had a great time on this water:

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread