+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Straps

Default Kayak Straps

While heading up to the lakes for a fishing trip I had one of the straps holding my kayak down break so I put some light duty straps on and finished the trip. I found this light duty, narrow strapping started digging into my kayak. When I got home I immediately bought some heavy duty strapping made for kayaks and so my problem should be solved.

How did it dig in? Did it acually leave marks in the kayak?

Default Re: Kayak Straps

Yup, it left marks. I can imagine that if I would have went far enough the straps would have worn a hole in the kayak.

That is crazzy, never heard of such. I sure am sorry to hear that. Is your boat okay? I sure hope it is... I know I'd be upset if that happened to mu yak, even though I have a cheapy small boat. Still it works for now, and I have kinda grow to like it..

I think it happened because the straps were vibrating and making a buzzing sound when I drove faster than 35 mph. When I had the original Yakima straps and the buzzing sound started up nothing happened that I could tell. But when those straps broke and I used the cheapie narrower straps they started cutting into the kayak.
    If anybody knows how to stop that buzzing sound I'd sure like to know. It happens on a pair of hully rollers I have on the rear of the kayak. I run the strap over the yak and through the cab of my truck.

Are you using Rubber straps or Nylon?
    Rubber shouldn't Buzz if they are tight enough.

I'm using nylon and tightening them down about as tight as I can without damaging the kayak or truck.

If you dont have a rack I would get someone to manufacture one at a reasonable price.
    You can use some Steel 1" square Tubing find a pattern you like and that works well.
    Your probably lookin at somewhere around $200. counting welding labor...good investment.
    Then you can just use Rubber Bungee Cords.
    Good Luck on your endeavor!!!!
    Last edited by jeffro; 06-10-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Try twisting the straps to alleviate the noise from the straps. Also, double the straps so that two straps go around the craft, but not death-grip tight, just snug.

Like Tyflyer said, twist the straps a few times. The buzzing didn't hurt the kayak because the buzzing is from the part of the line that isn't touching the kayak. Make that part of the line (between the car and kayak) twist/turn on itself a few times. Also, if you tie the kayak down in front, too, you won't have to crank down so hard on the side straps. Twist that one, too.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

+ Reply to Thread