+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IMPROVING YOUR FLY CASTING - Readers Cast (Steven McGarthwaite - June 7, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default IMPROVING YOUR FLY CASTING - Readers Cast (Steven McGarthwaite - June 7, 2010

IMPROVING YOUR FLY CASTING

Those who wish to improve their fly casting, should first inspect their equipment, before signing up for fly casting instruction.*Few days ago I posted something on the bulletin board in response to someone wanting input about paying for fly casting lessons.*There were some FAOL members who get paid for fly casting lessons, and I think I might have gored their cow, from their response to my posting.*I am opinionated, just as everyone else, with their own opinions.*But I speak from my experiences in life, and learning from my mistakes?over the past 62 years.*PS:*I was a Senior Instructor in the U.S. Army, so I know how to teach someone properly so they succeed.

Personally I don't think the grip on the fly rod will either make you a better caster or poorer caster. What I do think will improve your casting is lessons from a certified instructor and practice. In reading/listening/ watching great casters such as Lefty Kreh and Joan Wulff, I have never heard them suggest or imply that you needed a customized grip to improve your casting. The only time I could see a specialized grip helping is if you hand had a physical deformaty of some kind, or if you had unusually large or small hands.

But the article is interesting.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

It makes sense to me. I recently made a stick for my lawyer who is a big guy with big hands. I didn't measure anything, but made the grip larger thinking it would be more comfortable. He has been raving about how much he likes to cast it and about how good it feels in his hand. I expect to sell him some more rods.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Not sure where I stand with this? Do you need formal training? Not sure? Do you need instruction of some sort? Sure do...whether it be from observation/application.....video instruction/application.....or a formal class. You do need to be at the very least "demonstrated" the proper way to cast a flyline.

That being said, it's always a learning process. I doubt anybody is as good now as they could be tomorrow. We can all improve our casting in some way. Some of which can only happen on the stream in fishing situations however. I learned by observations and mimicking. Got better with Mel Kreigers video and further mimicking. And then worked on it on the water over the years. I later took a class out of curiosity and learned some neat techniques that i still apply as well. Always learning.

Grips? There are some I prefer. My favorite is the grip on my Orvis Far-and-fine. Other I don't like probably because they don't fit my hand and I just plain old don't cast as well with them. I lean toward a full wells but in a much shorter and slimmer version. And although my hands are smaller, don't care for the ultra-slim cigar grips that are common. But I cast at times with my index finger pointing...at times with my thumb extended....and at times with a normal grip. I don't cast in the classic 10-2 stroke though & I break my wrist alot on purpose:^) Steeple casts, dump casts & sidearm casts don't lend to classic instruction all that well:^)
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 06-08-2010 at 04:07 PM.

I doubt that Ted Williams would have said that the right bat was the ONLY key to successful hitting in the big leagues. I'll bet he was a big fan of batting coaches and proper technique. In fact, Ted was instrumental in starting some fantastic youth baseball camps where fundamentals are taught by big league ball players and coaches. And they charge a pretty good chunk of change for that training. Like most of us, they offer some scholarships for disadvantaged youth who would never be able to afford to attend such a camp otherwise. But quality instruction costs money. People who dedicate their lives to teaching something have to eat and live indoors, too. And those 2+ decades of teaching in the Army - the country did pay you for that, didn't we?

Your article on measuring and customizing grip size on a fly rod is excellent, and will be included in the first edition of The Adaptive Fly Fishing Handbook. We've been sizing and customizing grips for folks with hand/arm problems for awhile now. Your method is the best we've seen and the article makes it clear and easy. The use of commonly available and inexpensive materials is a key factor for us. But it's pretty disingenuous to characterize our conversation about the use of your article as including some sort of pledge from me that nobody would ever earn a nickel from it's use. I made it very clear to you that The Adaptive Fly Fishing Handbook is being SOLD to a publisher and that folks will have to purchase copies of that book. Furthermore, almost ALL of our instructors derive a significant portion of their livelihood from the work they do as therapeutic adaptive fly fishing instructors/guides. And sizing of rod grips to fit hands is just one small thing we do to help anglers enjoy their fishing more.

It is a FACT that using the right size and shape of grip on your fly rods will make a major difference in your enjoyment and performance as a fly angler. And the analogy to a tennis player using a raquet with a grip too big for his/her hand or a golfer using clubs with too small of grips for her/his hands or a batter using a bat too skinny or too fat is a very good one. Everyone knows that you don't do that if you're even just a "weekend warrior" at one of these sports. The fly rod is no diffferent. And the fact that Lefty, Joan, Mel, et al have neglected the subject for far too long doesn't change reality. If you think about the marketing aspects of such a statement and what that would mean to rod mfgs (and fly shops), it makes perfect sense that nobody has talked much about it in fly fishing - where the mfgs and retailers are bound and determined to ignore true pro shop level service and product lines, yet insist upon charging pro shop level prices.

In the end analysis, I would contend that a truly GOOD casting instructor DOES customize your grip for you. So should a truly good fly shop when they sell you one - for a fair fee.

Ken Morrow
    Certified Angler Education Instructor
    Certified Adaptive Fly Fishing Instructor
    Last edited by flyguy66; 06-09-2010 at 01:57 AM.

I have no problem with charging for the book, that what pays the printing costs, and I am sure that any profits will be rolled back into your organization to help cover operation costs.

I never said that a person does not need lessons to learn how to cast. I have taken lessons all my life for tennis, golf, baseball, hockey. What I originally meant, is that all the lessons in the world will not get you to where you want to be, if the match-up between the equipment and your hand is not correct. It is like wearing shoes that are too large, or too small. As for me my left foot is a size 11-1/2, while my right foot is a size 10. All of my life I have had to buy two sets of shoes to get one pair that fit.

My handle grips on my fly rods are a cigar shape with a half well to the rear. The diameter is 1-1/8 inch diameter. That is my hand grip shape for my fly rods, yours will be completely your hand grip size and shape, no two hand grip size and shape are alike.

One size does not fit all, each individual is different in multiple ways, from everyone else! I am not a fan of Traditions, where the only reason is that they have alway done it that way. Tradition does not help, those who are being poorly service by tradition, when a little bit of thought process, would help the individual achieve what they desire.

As a Senior Instructor in the U.S. Army, I could not expect all of my students to full understand the same training outline from the lesson plan. I had to adapt the lesson plan so those who did not understand the concept of the training, by various method (some very unorthodox) succeed.

My task was to find a way to transfer what I was attempting to share, so the individual could understand! Otherwise it was all talk and no showing of improvement.

PS: Ted Williams mother was "Spanish-Mexican" and Ted grew-up in San Diego, living with his mother at her parents house. So not only is Ted Williams one of the greatest baseball players to play major league baseball, his probably the greatest major league baseball player with "Spanish-Mexican" ancestry!

If your muscles and tendons are taunt during the cast, you lose speed of motion in the fly rod and fly line, you also have less control of the cast with the starting and stopping. You also lose the feel of the fly line and the fly rod movements during the cast.

Your hand should only light hold the fly rod, enough to have full control, during the cast. Too tight of a grip causes loss of motion and control.
    As a baseball pitcher, I learned early on the tighter that I gripped the ball, the worse my pitching became. Most are taught in fly fishing to cast with their arm movement only. While in baseball the arm is mostly for directional control, the energy of the throw comes through the body movement during the throw (rocking backward then forward). Same applies to fly fishing, rocking the body, with one ahead of the other to supply the energy of the cast and the arm motion controlling the direction of the cast. At no time should need to have a death grip on the fly rod while cast...

While in golf lessons it is completely different, the body remains stationary, with body weight resting on the back foot, during the back swing, and only during the front swing does the body mass shift to the front foot. The speed of the back swing is the same as the forward swing. To many do a slower back swing and a fast forward swing, and there lays the problem of control.

I can easily cast 50 to 60 feet without straining, or using single or double overhauls... because my fly rod handle fits my hand, and my body motion during the cast supplies the force (energy) to give my cast the distance...
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 06-09-2010 at 04:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread