+ Reply to Thread

Thread: got my fix tonight

Default got my fix tonight

Just got back from Smithville lake after about 6 hours of fishing. I could see around the shore they were feeding pretty heavily. I tied on a number 10 grasshopper that looks exactly like the "reel" thing that i picked up at bass pro the other day for an arm and a leg. As soon as i cast i was getting all kinds of strikes..the bluegill were in a feeding frenzy and playing with the grass hopper like it was a toy. I think the hook might have been a little big though. i did end up catching 5 or 6 good size gills. I might end up going back to that spot again this evening. Wasnt a great day but it hit the spot
    David

Cool! I think part of it is they just like to swirl on stuff. They seem to do it a lot on topwater baits to pull it under. That's what I've observed anyhow...

Thumbs up You get the hopper award ...

... for the first report of a fish on a hopper this season, David. ( Assuming I haven't missed something ?? )

From all accounts, this year could produce the biggest hopper infestation in the past thirty or more years. Hope you got a lot of arms and legs to spare - or that you find a pattern you like and can tie.

John
    The fish are always right.

I will have to learn to tie em. I think i paid four dollars for it. it was the only topwater i had that had some mass to it. then the wind picked up it was hard to get it out there. I think im meeting a buddy up there in a few hours. if theres no wind maybe ill teach him a little fly fishing
    David

No luck with the wind. I did manage to lose that grass hopper in a tree going after the elusive tree fish. After that i got no hits for 5 hours. I guess Im going back to Bass pro. this time Im buying two and one i will save and try to tie more.

They sure are proud of those flies, aren't they?

Maybe try a Gurgler? Easier to tie than most hopper patterns, and 'gill's love 'em. Since Gurglers are somewhat tapered near the hook bend, I think bluegills have an easier time getting the hook into their mouths. They are probably lighter and easier to cast than some of the heavier hopper patterns.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread