+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pocket knife

Hybrid View

Default pocket knife

This little knife goes everywhere with me (except on a damn airline flight, where it is I guess considered a deadly weapon). I've used it countless times over the span of 30 odd years. It has become a part of me. It is always there and today I thought about holding it high regard because I'd feel like something was missing if I didn't reach down with my right hand and feel it through my pants pocket. It's part of my "outfit" if you will. Right there where it's suppose to be. I've had many pocket and sheath knives over the years. For the most part they are hidden in a box somewhere and I can never, never find one when I need it. Don't ask me to use it, I won't let you!

I think you reccognize the brand of my knife. What an engineering marvel!

Do you carry a pocket knife?

"As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I've carried one like this for many years. I bought it at Sears. It was not a Craftsman but it was made by Camillus. It has stainless blades and holds an edge quite well.
    I also feel naked without it.

378457631_tp.jpg

I bought this knife in 1995. Its been in my pocket daily for 15 years. One of the handles is a bit loose and both sides are showing wear. I got battery acid on the blade which etched it a little. I "fixed" that problem with a little 1000 grit emery paper. The "big" blade shows signs of sharpening. It replaced a Buck Cadet which I lost. This Sear knife is as good as the Buck and holds an edge better.

I thought I lost it about a year ago - panic set in. I tore this house up looking for it. It is so dear to me it was like loosing a friend. I found it under a cushion in the chair I'd thrown my pants over the night before.

A knife has become one of my most used possessions. I even "do" my nails with it. I can't remember when I did not carry a pocket knife....
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-05-2010 at 03:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Hairwing, I carry the same make and model but in basic black.

Ed

I went to the airport last week mistakenly with my kinife in my pocket. Not wanting TSA to discard my knife, I thought I would place it on top of a vending machine with the hope of retrieving on my return. NO luck.

I was told all confiscated materials by TSA are later sold on EBAY.

My go to knife is the same size and blade pattern as Jerry's except mine is a Shrade "Uncle Henry". I bought it at a little junk store in Muleshoe, TX for $4.00. I've had a few little Leatherman paratools confiscated at airports because I didn't think to put'em in my checked baggage.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I have a lot of pocket knieve and sheath knives. I have some custom hand made damascus steel folcing knives.

The one I carry almost every day? A little buck 2 blade knife my dad bought for me when I graduated from high school in 1978,

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I now carry a Benchmade Griptilian (small) that my daughter bought me for Xmas....after losing my CKRT Pointman that I was never without for 13years. Prior to that it was a buck that I carried through 14 years...still got it. My Uniform knife was a Swiss Army Victorinox Champ that was my belt knife through thick-&-thin. My daughter now carres it in uniform:^) Partial to my knives:^)

Bass_Bug Guest

That ain't no knife!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairwing View Post
    Now THAT"S a knife!!!!

I carry a Gerber Paraframe 1 fine edge clipped to my front right pant pocket every day. Dockers, 501's or a suit it's always there. Would love to have a Spyderco, but the Paraframe is only $20, and more than a few times something has caught the clip and pulled it out my pocket and it fell on the ground. I always hear it clatter, but one of these days I wont. Not willing to take that chance on a $100 to $200 Spyderco of similar style.

For yard work, camping and fishing I carry a Sheffield folding utility knives that uses the standard replaceable utility blade. It always gets clipped to the front right pocket as well.

Like many of you, I too feel naked without it.

Quote Originally Posted by hairwing View Post
    I hate to tell you but I got THROUGH the TSA checkpoint at Philadelphia Intl in March with that exact same knife on my key ring in my small backpack which was a carry-on. So much for security!

I always have a knife with me, either in my pocket or in a sheath. If it's a pocket knife, it most likely a Case or sometimes a Buck. I have quite a few and rotate them with handles mostly of bone, stag and even Mammoth tooth & Ivory. I always seem to have a new Case knife on order.

As far as Swiss Army knives go, I have a bunch but none for the pocket. One like the one above is on my key ring and every fishing bag has a one in a sheath. The biggest requirement for a SAK is a saw & scissors. I use both ALL the time.

Some have referred to a "toothpick" on the SAK............... that's not a toothpick that's a nail knot tool!!!!! IMHO.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread