+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fly Turner / Drier

I built 2 dryers, one for Warren P and one for myself. I had close to $24.00 in each dryer for the motor, cord, wood, foam pad, PVC 1" end cap and not shown in the pictures the alligator clips used to hold your files. I found the foam pads at Wal-Mart back in the hardware section; they are used for moving furniture around in your house by putting them under the legs of the furniture so you can move it on carpet or wooding floors, and I thought this was a clever find. The alligator clips I purchased from Radio Shack and what I did was buy some heavy straight pins cut them down to size and by using a crimping tool I secured them to the ends of the alligator clips. Now all you need to do is stick it in the foam wheel (pad) and round and round they go!! Now for mounting the foam wheel (pad) to the shaft take a 1" hole-saw and drill a hole in the CENTER of the foam wheel (pad), then take the 1" PVC end cap and drill a hole one size smaller then the shaft size (in the CENTER too keep in balance) this will give a secure fit on the shaft, then place the PVC end cap on the shaft and insert the foam wheel (pad) on the end cap. There you go!! really nothing more than that to making a dryer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by popperfly; 10-07-2010 at 01:46 AM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

NICE!
    Thank you for taking the time to share and post. Terffic information for a tinker bell like me. I would have never come up with one that nice. Wish there was a pic with the alligator clips though. How many did you get installed on the wheel?

Bugman will need as much as possible cause his wife and him boaf make poppers and such. He probably needs TWO driers.

Thank you again for posting. When he gets here he will have his choice of three different motors....and I now have the instructions on how to make a good one for myself.

Thanks again for taking the time....and sharing.....it's all good...
    Last edited by Gemrod; 10-06-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post
    NICE!
    Wish there was a pic with the alligator clips though. How many did you get installed on the wheel?
    Bugman will need as much as possible cause his wife and him boaf make poppers and such. He probably needs TWO driers.
    Thanks again for taking the time....and sharing.....it's all good...

Jim
    Thanks Jim, When I get home I will post a picture of the alligator clips mounted on the foam wheel, I believe you can get 12 comfortably on the foam wheel, they are 5” diameter and this would allow room for larger flies. I only have 8 on mine at the present time, I guess you could put as many as you want. You just need to make sure your spacing of the alligator clips is equal to balance the wheel.
    Last edited by popperfly; 10-06-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>

Jim,

I just added the extra pictures of the alligator clips.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>

Hey thank you Popperfly. Nice. I remember that is the way Bugman said he wanted his drier.....clips sticking straight out from the disc as opposed to parrallel to the bench.

BTW am I in doo doo. I see where Mr. Bugman did indeed call me last evening. See it on skype....6:32p. Man I really made a mistake. Must have been when I was outside in the RV getting some fly tying material.

'tis ok. Mr. Bugman is way cool. I am not in too much trouble.

Thanks again Mr. Popperfly. Now I know pretty much how to build one. I would have gotten one done....but nice to get construction instructions.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread