+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scuds in Still Water?

Hybrid View

Default Scuds in Still Water?

I've never fished with scuds in still water before, but considering that scuds (apparently) make up a huge portion of a trout's diet in most still water situations, I figure I better learn how.

So, how do you do it?

You might be able to rig them under an indicator and drift with the wind or slowly strip them back in.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Absolutelly...YES!!
    One of my best fishing days in my memory, was in an alcaline lake full of small tan scuds and incredible strong and fat pale-blue rainbows. Patagonia remote lake, me and two friends. We wathed the trout signs and tried docens of patterns without results, until notice the scuds. Eureka!!
    We tied some #14-16 scud imitations in minutes...just some dubbing and wire on curved hooks and the fishing began! I can't forget that experience nor the unique bows, ultra muscular and football shape between 2-6lbs. Scuds work!

Fishing scud patterns is one of my all time favorite methods in many stillwaters, especially Henry's Lake in Idaho. We fished water last October that was full of weeds, fish and scuds. The depth was between 5' and 12' and we trailed a scud about 18-inches behind a black, bead-head bugger on a 10-foot leader and using an Intermediate, clear sink-tip line. Slow strips interspersed with a quick one-two. We slayed them to say the least. I also recommend scuds in slow waters such as limestone spring creeks allowed to flow with the current suspended by some type of unobtrusive indicator. We use this method on one of my favorite spring creeks and really see success.

Here's a pic of a nice Cutthroat we landed from our favorite sping with this method and an amber scud:

And here's one from that epic Henry's Lake event last October:

one more from Henry's Lake:

All on scuds.

Here's one of my favorite patterns:

KG's Spring Creek Scud

Hook: DaiRiki 125 size #14/12
    Thread: 8/0 Amber
    Tail: Amber dubbing
    Shellback: Plastic bag strip cut to width
    Rib: Pearl Krystal Flash
    Body: Amber dubbing ? picked out and trimmed

I also tie this in an olive color, which color we used at Henry's Lake

Hope this info helps and good luck. One thing about stillwater fishing with scuds is the take is monstrous, those fish really attack that critter with gusto.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    Fishing scud patterns is one of my all time favorite methods in many stillwaters, especially Henry's Lake in Idaho. We fished water last October that was full of weeds, fish and scuds. The depth was between 5' and 12' and we trailed a scud about 18-inches behind a black, bead-head bugger on a 10-foot leader and using an Intermediate, clear sink-tip line. Slow strips interspersed with a quick one-two. We slayed them to say the least. I also recommend scuds in slow waters such as limestone spring creeks allowed to flow with the current suspended by some type of unobtrusive indicator. We use this method on one of my favorite spring creeks and really see success.

Here's a pic of a nice Cutthroat we landed from our favorite sping with this method and an amber scud:

And here's one from that epic Henry's Lake event last October:

one more from Henry's Lake:

All on scuds.

Here's one of my favorite patterns:

KG's Spring Creek Scud

Hook: DaiRiki 125 size #14/12
    Thread: 8/0 Amber
    Tail: Amber dubbing
    Shellback: Plastic bag strip cut to width
    Rib: Pearl Krystal Flash
    Body: Amber dubbing ? picked out and trimmed

I also tie this in an olive color, which color we used at Henry's Lake

Hope this info helps and good luck. One thing about stillwater fishing with scuds is the take is monstrous, those fish really attack that critter with gusto.

Kelly.
    Kelly,

That's a great looking scud pattern. May need to get with you on that one!
    Gotta check the size I'll be needing.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

The first fish I ever caught on a fly was on a scud/nymph looking thing I tied up after watching another instructor (I was teaching tying) show the boys about bugs. I saw one on the bottom of a rock and tied a fair approximation and proceeded to haul the brookies in hand over fist. Cast out, let sink and strip back in with short strokes. You don't need an indicator. The fish will tell you they took it.

This fly is almost stupid simple.

Use whatever hook you happen to have in a 12-14. Straight, curved, whatever.

Olive Thread
    Olive Medium D-rib
    A few turns of olive hackle of some sort. Just something to look leggy.
    A bead to help it sink if you want.

I now teach this to the boys up at Scout Camp because the brookies in Tumblesom Lake can't leave these alone! I have seen boys catch fish on their first cast with these! The first time I used one, they had to drag me away from the lake kicking and screaming to teach the next batch of boys!
    Last edited by kbproctor; 06-04-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

another simple and proven scud
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

When I whip up some scuds usually have some weight tied in there, too, so they have a good tendency to sink!

So what I do for still water is cast them out and let'em sink ... if that's what's working I'll usually get a responce from the fish while they are sinking! If noting happens on the way down, will then give them a couple of short stripping tugs, if nothing, retrieve and cast in another area.

+ Reply to Thread