+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a thought

Have you logged out and tried to use the BB?

If it's possible to be more cynical than I am, I could think the visitor unfriendly BB is a membership recruiting tactic.
    Last edited by namekagon; 06-05-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    nam

Blog Entries

I just tried the log off thing and access to the board is non existent! This could also be discouraging possible sponsors. I like the board, the people on it, for the most part, and so on, but all of you folks already know I build rods so why should I fork over cash to tell you some more? I would not be telling anyone new as they can't read the posts without registering. I certainly would not invest in the Classifieds section if the post could not be accessed by everyone trying to view the board.

That is just from a commercial point of view. I also believe this is something that happened with the upgrades. I did notice with the upgrades that a lot of older posts were lost. Try searching out all of Betty's posts, or mine, or any of the others that have been around a while. I couldn't even find all of the posts by Parnelli on the Beginner's Only Swap, even being logged in.

I remember seeing lots of good info when I decided to register on the board. Non registered folks can not see that now and where I might have gone ahead and registered as the board was recommended to me by someone I knew and respected, many will not.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Anytime a site is upgraded...new server,,,format...whatever...there's a potential for archival loss and apparently FAOL wasn't immune.
    That's sad but a reality. I believe the more pressing point is how the board/site is functioning now and why.
    nam

Blog Entries

Well, dang it all, loss of archives after a hard drive crash is why I was looking!

As far as I am concerned, the board works fine. I set the cookies and am always logged in so I see everything the way I want to with my personalization settings and all is right with the world... for me. But it ain't newbie friendly.
    Kevin

I have logged out and come back in , I assume, as a guest. The ONLY thing that I was unable to do was post a comment on the BB. Everthing else seemed available to me. I agree, that I may have lower expectations but be that as it may be, I see NO problem.

Mark

Marco;
    Most of the time there are more guests in the BB than Members. Just a short time ago it was 17 members 42 guests! I think this will be a great discussion around the campfire up in Michigan.

a bunch of the guests will be search engine and email gathering bots, all kinds of bots slurping data. as for bulletin boards they're old technology, a dying breed, not personal enough, not interactive. static content isn't enough to gain and hold interest.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Just wondering if you could follow every reply in a given thread on any forum without almost immediately being kicked back to the original post in that thread ??

John,

You are right about following every reply. When the new format kicked in I found that very frustrating so I was forced to login. I finally discovered that you need to go to the upper right hand corner and click on display then make your selection. I tend to use linear view. That should fix the problem you are having.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Let's do a bit of troubleshooting, then. I am running a MacBook with OS X 10.6.3. I have the "Kick 'em back to the first post" thing happening with the latest versions of Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.

If you chime in with what OS you are using, if you have the problem when NOT logged in, and which browser you are using, we should be able to determine pretty quick if it is a compatibility problem or not.

Make sure you are really logged out. If you are, you should see two small boxes in the upper right for your username and password that you do not see now if you are logged in.
    Kevin

Now that it has drifted to the technical shortcomings of the new format, allow me to say the guest issues are doubly troublesome when accessing from a PDA like an iPhone, blackberry or iPod Touch (or really any of a number of other handheld devices).

Try it from an iPhone some day if you want to have a little fun.

Between iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Blackberry, Zune HD, and several other handhelds there are close to 100 million in use today. Web designers must take note as they are gradually replacing the traditional laptop / desk top computers.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread