+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a thought

Default Just a thought

It occurs to me to wonder just WHY does FAOL lose subscribers. Seems like some of them just ?fall off the cliff? never to be heard from again. I know a few instances where there were squabbles with the owners . But legitimate or not, we?re talking an Internet site where only egos may possible be bruised. No money is lost and no purchased products are misrepresented. No REAL reason to take ones ?business? elsewhere. Despite my ?member since? stats, I have been with FAOL since the Moses and wicker basket thing. I?ve seen em come and I?ve seen em go, therefore my wondering.
    I myself once had a squabble with HIMSELF over HIS acerbic attack on a subscriber who wrote a very nice fishing report but posted it in the ?wrong? forum. There were a few similar instances before that and I had had enough. I posted my sentiment suggesting that HIMSELF refill the prescriptions HE was apparently out of. And suggested to HIM how he should run his business. Maybe my ?suggestion? WAS a bit over the line and HIMSELF spared NO words in letting me know that. Finally we did come to an agreement. HE: perhaps I was NOT that far off base, ME: maybe I should mind my OWN business. As time has a tendency to do, that wound eventually healed.
    As I have stated many times, my contribution to FAOL is more in adding a number to the subscriber list and at times posting something just to raise a pulse. I hope I or any of my opinionated posts have not caused anyone to leave FAOL ( there may have been a few) . I may be on some ?ignore? lists but hopefully not on ?ignorant? lists. But having said that, WHY do folks ?go away??.
    I?ve always wanted to ask, ?whatever happened to??????
    AND, by the way, what did ever happen to???????????..?

Mark

Marco,

I think some people get involved here, as the sport de jour. That itch gets scratched, and they move on. It may seem cruel hearted, but .... other than a very few people whom I miss terribly, I don't give it much thought!

I know it couldn't POSSIBLY be from anything I've ever said!!!

Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Cold Guest

Your daily dose of 'what?', brought to you by Marco, ladies and gentlemen.

If I may, I'll chop out the middle 80% of that one and respond to what I did manage to glean from it.

It occurs to me to wonder just WHY does FAOL lose subscribers. Seems like some of them just ?fall off the cliff? never to be heard from again. I know a few instances where there were squabbles with the owners . But legitimate or not, we?re talking an Internet site where only egos may possible be bruised. No money is lost and no purchased products are misrepresented. No REAL reason to take ones ?business? elsewhere. Despite my ?member since? stats, I have been with FAOL since the Moses and wicker basket thing. I?ve seen em come and I?ve seen em go, therefore my wondering.
    The same reason, but in the inverse.

In short: why not? Its just an internet site. No real reason to stay, especially if it has turned into a source of aggravation, or ceased to be a source of enjoyment. While I do enjoy the site, I can certainly see, in some situations, why people would choose not to come back. While FAOL is certainly among the most tame, polite communities I frequent, that same dynamic also has the effect of harboring many individuals that are fairly thin-skinned, easily offended, and/or hypersensitive. For many, that sort of atmosphere seems uptight and stuffy, whereas many other forums are more free and laid back...if harsher, coarser, and less tolerant. Its all just personal preference.

My guess is the majority of members do some of the following: Only come on to get a question or two answered then leave. They lurk but do not engage with the community, just reading and gathering information, lose interest in fly fishing, and lastly, forget about the site when their fishing season is over.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

People come and go. Some folks are "opening day" fisherman.....some are year long diehards. Come archery season in the fall....you will rarely see me. But I tie all year long, so there is a common glue there. Not all have that.

Also, I have to make some "friends" in order to keep me. I have here in short order. Also, a number of good friends ofver the years have recently come here as well from another board as I did.

The mention above about how it's "tame & polite" here can have something to do with it. It can be hypersensitive here:^) Some get pushed away by that.

In the end....I'm here....because I'm here. If that changes....I'll be elsewhere:^) Like many others.

Marco..my dear Marco...your'e the only reason I came back from my self imposed exile after I was chastised for saying B.S. on this forum. Actually, I might have said a little more than that.

As far as HIMSELF goes, he was always tolerant of me and considering I use to equate fly tying with drinking Canadian whiskey,,,,, then feeling the need to post on FAOL, that says a lot.
    Last edited by namekagon; 06-03-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: clarity?
    nam

I think that many lose interest in the internet thing. The articles and threads here begin to repeat after a while and folks just go fishing until they have a reason to check back in. I know that I respond to fewer posts than I once did if I feel that I have allready exposed my ignorance in that area.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I use to equate fly tying with drinking Canadian whiskey,,,,, then feeling the need to post on FAOL, that says a lot.
    And there have been times when I've posted AFTER drinking Canadian whiskey (well Tequila, but the after effect is pretty much the same).

There are times when I post more than others.
    Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

You're a good guy Jeff.
    nam

FINALLY back from a rough day. And, as to this thread , however, I should have narrowed my " wonder" to long timers, prolific posters ( they shall remain unnamed) etc. To me it's a bit like mr. gore divorcing after 40 years. WHAT??? In any case, I understand the short/sometimers peeking in for a few and splitting. It's those "others" who I wonder about. Why and where have they gone? I must also explain that I , because i merely fly fish and fly fishing (as I indicated in another thread)is NOT my way of life, have no need to leave here for greener pastures . I do not visit other sites other than maybe once or twice as a matter of curiosity so maybe for that reason I feel no need to leave. I really don't know what's out there but also don't have the time or need to find out.
    This is a warm , cuddly place for the most part with few exceptions. I could be one of those exceptions but you can make that call.

Mark
    PS: Nam, I read your comment and got this warm feeling. NO, I checked
    THAT being said, I'd rather be in Wyoming.

+ Reply to Thread