+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought

nighthawk Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post

About Trout: The Best of Robert J. Benhke from Trout Magazine - Page 124

?In most streams with good natural reproduction and recruitment, great numbers of young, small trout abound, and they will consume most of the small particle food supply. It is true that larger trout are dominant over smaller trout and the larger fish will monopolize the best feeding areas. But at some point the larger fish cannot control sufficient space to consume an adequate daily ration to meet maintenance requirements; negative growth and death will soon follow. For the typical brown trout population under such circumstances the terminal age can be expected to be around four and the terminal size about 12 inches. Streams where the terminal size of trout is considerably greater are characterized by an alternate food supply of large organisms such as scuds, crayfish, and forage fishes. When trout reach a size of about 12?, they can then begin to feed on larger organisms, avoid competition with smaller trout and maintain positive growth. As long as positive growth is maintained, the lifespan can be greatly expanded.?

That there feller sure took the long way aound the barn just to get to theo point all good parents know. Never eat the youngins's food and he who gets to big for his britches ain't long fer this world.

Reviving "another". And the question remains....................

"Where have all the "members" gone??

Mark
    PS: A while ago I also posted:
    Some of you are implying a funeral dirge for FAOL. I didn't intend to suggest that because FAOL has lost some long timers, it cannot survive without them. As the bottom empties, the top is refilled by new folks. There will never be another JC, Al Campbell, Ron Koenig et al, but there will be others, perhaps with smaller feet, to fill their shoes. Even now, we have a few "in the bud" prospects. Yes, the questions do get a bit old and boring, but ONLY to those of us who have been here a while. For others they're informative and vital. Re-mentioning I've been here since "the Moses ......thing", what could I possibly ask that has not already been addressed and answered?. I also don't answer questions for fear, like rainbow..., of demonstrating my ignorance. FAOL could not survive if I was the norm rather than the exception. I depend on YOU the personalities, the characters, the egos , the pros, rod builders, tyers etc . to fill in the void I may create. I confess my interest tends to lean more to the Sound Off forum than to the others and I have a feeling that I'm not alone in that.
    Factoring in the economic reality, FAOL is more than alive and kicking . Perhaps I'm showing my age by dreaming of the good old days and remembering folks who helped build the reputation FAOL currently enjoys. Some of those folks can never come back but those who can, I hope they do.

Mark
    Last edited by Marco; 11-23-2013 at 08:27 PM.

There may not be as many posts as before, but look at the articles to see how many folks read them.
    My wife can believe that there are that many people to read my "blather".
    If my memory is any good I remember flyfishing interest goes in waves.
    MY plugged nickle on this.

Rick

I still check this site several times / day. But I did post less this year. I'm one of those guys that fishes more frequently than most,and pretty much year-round. I fear perhaps I used to post too much, and maybe now I'm over-compensating?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Welllll......
    I LOVE THIS SITE!!! And thoroughly appreciate all that the administrators do to keep it going....so well! And Rick, your "drivel" is usually my first target.
    My job went to driving 500mi more/less per day. Lots of fishing trips require 500 mi more/less for a weekend. Now being EYEtalian AND on the geriatric crew, we feel that we are entitled to let the younger, more intellect of the crowd bash these buttons and we'll observe (or is it lurk?) when we get the time.
    LF, love ya. And rest assured himself, Al, and the others are surely missed. That said, yourself and Niel are doing a GRAND job and all life, FAOL included, will carry on and move foward.
    ......lee s.

FAOL started out as an idea in the mind of the Ladyfisher and, assisted by the late JC, she set out to do something that, up until that time, had not been done. The Internet was a new thing, its future uncertain, and whether or not one could put a magazine online and make some money doing it without charging people to read it was also uncertain. FAOL was and is a 'mom and pop' operation. For a few years they made enough money from the site to pay their bills but these days the site produces enough revenue to pay the server costs and little else. Today there are other online fly fishing magazines that are financed by people with much deeper pockets than we have. Sponsors have dropped out due to economic issues or have moved on to the flasher websites. As long as Ron Tidd continues to write the code so that the site can remain alive, and as long as people continue to contribute material to provide the content we will continue to put up a new issue every two weeks. We don't do this for money because if we did FAOL would have become history several years ago. We are greatful for our loyal readers and contributors. We do what we do for you.

The Chronicler

I know this is an old thread but I might add that some drift in and out with the seasons of their lives. I started when I left New England and my FF buddies. I found an acceptable substitute gang here on FOAL. Here in Kentucky the trout are limited to the stocked ponds in the county parks so I migrated to Blue Gills, on which I was originally taught to FF. Then in my old age my body started to fall apart and I found myself unable to fish the way I used to. I am not looking for sympathy but just offering some reasons folks slip in and out of the site. You can rest assured if I stop visiting, reading and lurking it is because my ticker stopped ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    My wife can believe that there are that many people to read my "blather". Rick
    Nothing could be further from the truth. One of the PRIME reasons I keep coming back is for your articles. I even go back and re-read some of the old ones from time to time to remind myself how much I like the warm water pursuits of Gills.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Deanna, Himself, Mato, Warren P, Jack Hise, Kaboom, Joe V, Bill and Jean D, Marco, FatBill, Betty H, John C are all people who I have met personally who have enriched my life with their lives and stories. I was in the very first Beginner Swap with Parnelli (met two of the swappers in person later as our paths crossed.)I won a few of the contests that RW put on and still fish with some of the flies I tied with some of the prizes which at the time I wondered what they were good for. I had joined in '98 or '99 and hung out until some health issues in 2005 reared their ugly heads. Life intervened a bit and I got the bamboo rod building bug so I migrated over to Clark's to tap into that resource for a while (and am still active on that board). But I never lost the warm feeling I had and have for FAOL. I never fail to point some new fly fishers to FAOL. I taught classes of elementary children the art of the fly with an encouragement to pursue it further at FAOL. When I purchase something at a fly shop I mention that I first heard of it or them on FAOL. I attend the MIFI every year just to drink some good Dickel and hear some better lies than I can spin. I admit I lurk now more than contribute but FAOL will always be #1 in my heart and mind. Deanna I thank you for that; you are a blessing.
    Hugs.
    Mark

I am a relative newcomer to this board, but not to internet. My longest running board time is with a motorcycle board since 1999. Like mentioned, after years the same threads keep rolling thru, each time a newcomer (like me here) thinks he has an exciting new topic. Our oil threads, tire threads, etc. are similar to the "which 4wt for small streams" threads here. The thing is, there are always new people coming in and they appreciate the help offered, even if they could have done a search on the same thing. It also gives the more experienced a chance to show the wisdom they're accumulated thru the ages. I find it exciting to find a new to me board and take the time to search and research it's posts.

The one thing that does happen on any board is that "cliques" develop with people who've become close either thru contact or cyberspace communication. These will often make newcomers uncomfortable but only by sticking it out can you become better known and know better the basic heart of the board, which is it's long time members. This board seems to have held together thru several phases and since I don't know a thing about people lost to the board or format changes, I'm very happy to have found it just like it is.

Mcsteff left me out of the list of people he's met at MIFIs over the years. But that's OK. I'm such a shy, retiring wallflower that I am used to being overlooked.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread