+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rod for Alaska

1. Default

SORRY!! Don't know why I read 3WEEKS into 3 DAYS. The Parks Hwy may be out of the questions in only 3 days, but there's still alot of good fishing in the Interior.

Ben
    Fairbanks

Kbobb,

Piece together the information you got from this thread and you should be in good shape.

The Tioga will be a perfect reel for salmon fishing.

Have a blast! And bring some dry flies for those grayling, they are gorgeous fish who usually love to pound dry flies, you'll get addicted catching them. Forget what I said about heavy tippet when you are talking about grayling. 3x or even 4x is better for a drag free drift with dries.

-John

[This message has been edited by ktokj (edited 04 March 2005).]

I agree with the previous posters. Bring the 10 wt for the kings. You will want it instead of the 9 wt if you get a big king, especially if there is any substantial amount of current. Also bring a 6 wt and 8 wt for the other species mentioned.

Check with you friends as far as what flies you need. Generally, Alaskan salmon flies are big, bulky and colorful (meaning fluorescent) or dark (meaning black and purple). They usually are made of marabou, rabbit hair, or similar materials that give a lot of motion even on the dead drift. My favoriter patterns are any kind of bunny hair leech (especially articulated patterns), Popsicle, Karluk Flash Fly, and Starlight Leech. Your friends can provide better info on specific patterns than I could so don't rely on my favorite patterns, that list just gives you some ideas.

If you are going to fish outside of Fairbanks, a 8wt will handle the salmon you will encounter there. The 8wt TFO in either 9 or 9'6". I used a 9'6" there last summer with no problem. The Chena Kings can be big but are a little tired by the time they reach that far. The river isn't that big either. Second the 3-4wt for grayling. They are a great fish and love dry flies. I hope to fish it again early this July also. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread