+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flashbacks, etc.

Hybrid View

Smile Flashbacks, etc.

A question for you FAOL'ers in the Northeast (PA, NY, etc.)...My own experience has been that flashback-style nymphs, copper johns, and other subsurface trout flies with "flash" don't seem to work nearly as well here in the NorthEast as they do out West. What's your experience been? If "flashy" works for you, which patterns?

Thanks,
    PRM
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

hare ears and ptns, thats about all sub surface flies i fish with flash, and all i use is Shane Stalcups material....cuz i like it.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

I live in Maryland and have pretty good success with hares ears with gold flash for the wingcase instead of the traditional style. Never did have much success with copper johns.

Rodney

I fish in PA and have enjoyed the most success with a hares ear flashback; an olive flashback has worked on occasion. As for Cooper Johns, I have fished them on occasion but have not found them productive. That may be because I am not using them correctly.

Last Friday in Ontario, Canada I caught two rainbows on a Lightnening Bug - thought it was the answer, then nothing. Switched to a Sawyer/Wulff grey nymph (NO FLASH) and caught 8 more. The day was sunny a bright and the water was clear. A couple or 3 more on a wet fly (dark/dull) variety. My buddies did not use flash either and caught about 12 each also.

Copper John's work with various timing down here in Texas... When the water is clear they will sometimes work below a hopper in the fall... if they aren't working a zebra midge will probably work in either red or black. If neither of those are working I go with a soft hackle (flashback or not) and swing them in the current... this will generally always get the bites.

+ Reply to Thread