+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mayfly ID

Hybrid View

Default Mayfly ID

I live outside Spokane, Washington in pine forest. There isn't a stream or lake within 7 or 8 miles. Yet this little fella was sitting on my fence post today. He looks like a Callibaetis to me. I know there are a lot of different species, but I thought they were mostly lake residents. I wonder how he got here?
    What do you people think?
    RexS

can't help you with the identification, but reminds me of a morning a couple of years ago when I found a Hexagenia dun on my front porch...in NE Portland.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Blog Entries

Rex,

I sent the photo to Brooks Sanford of the Clark Fork Trout & Tackle shop in St. Regis, Montana. Here is what he says:

Larry, Looks like our local Ameletus Grey Drake. Clear wing except a bit of color on the leading edge. The March Brown and callibaetis will have mottled wing through the whole wing.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Larry,
    Thanks for the info. I'll give Brooks a call. I really trust his advise about the Clark Fork and they are a super family.
    Rex

5. Default

The glassy (hyaline) wing would indicate that the fly is a spinner and although Callibaetis duns have overall mottled wings, the spinners typically only exhibit dark brown or black markings on the leading edge of the wing. Callibaetis mayflies are most commonly found in lakes but can also inhabit any slow-moving waters, frequently being found in gently flowing spring creeks.

Preston is exactly correct. Would only add that it's a female.

So are there any mayflies that you would expect to find in a waterless pine forest? I've never seen any before.
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Preston Singletary View Post
    The glassy (hyaline) wing would indicate that the fly is a spinner and although Callibaetis duns have overall mottled wings, the spinners typically only exhibit dark brown or black markings on the leading edge of the wing.
    Preston or Taxon,
    This insect seems to have a lot of color for a 'spinner' ! It must be in the 'early stage' of 'imago', or am I wrong?
    Sometimes the light angle in a photo can be deceptive!
    Just asking........
    * Taxon....... how are you ?
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Quill gordon View Post
    Preston or Taxon,
    This insect seems to have a lot of color for a 'spinner' ! It must be in the 'early stage' of 'imago', or am I wrong?
    Sometimes the light angle in a photo can be deceptive!
    Just asking........
    * Taxon....... how are you ?
    Hi John, Roger here. Don't see anything particularly unusual about the color of your mayfly. I looks like a stereotypical Callibaetis ferrugineus ferrugineus female imago, at least to me.

+ Reply to Thread