+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing for Responses

Hybrid View

Default Fishing for Responses

I have heard a statement over and over for years and I'm not sure what people mean. Please take the time to explain to me what it means if it something you agree with.

Here is the statement: "Fly fishing is a way of life."

I usually hear it referenced like this: Fly fishing isn't just a pastime or something I do for fun or just to get away---it's a way of life.

Please explain.
    Thanks.

Well I am new to flyfishing but I feel that way about my traditional archery passion.

The way I felt about motorcycles for about 35 years. I am sure many have heard "Live to ride, ride to live".
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

For me, ,fly fishing is one of the most relaxing activities that exist. Its like meditation for me. I meditate almost every day as a way to clear my mind/wind down/ or calm down after a stressful moment. on days when i am on the water alone with my fly rod I dont need to do traditional meditation. its weird, I know.
    David

There is more fly fishing stuff in our house than in the fly shop (we've been at this a while) most of our friends are other fly fishers. When I just moved from Washington state home to Montana Trav cataloged and packed up 1,500 mostly fly fishing books. I have more fly fishing shirts than dresses. Most of my/our vacations have been chosen by whether and where we could fly fish. I like being around other fly fishers because we are of a like mind and probably have more in common than most other "just folks." When we're out at the spring creek banding birds I spend an inordinate amount of time watching the riffles and trying to figure out how to fish it....(we're not fishing) Most of the magazines coming to the house are, guess what? Fly fishing. When a bug hits the windshield I wonder what's hatching. I don't tie flies anymore (Trav does) but when I did I was looking at everything wondering if I could use it to tie flies. No, for us it is not a religion, we already have that - but a way of life? You bet.
    Hugs,
    LadyFisher

I suppose that from a practical viewpoint it means one is in the business of fly fishing. Other than that, it sounds like an overstatement for enjoying the heck out of the sport.

Mark

It was like this before we had FAOL......
    LF

I've been involved in fly fishing and fly tying for over half a cebntury and here is my thought.
    When you grab a fishing "pole" and associated gear and go out to catch a fish, you are fishing.
    When your interest extends into things like what is the "rod" made of, by whom, when was it made and how does its performance differ from others now it starts to become a passion. This broad interest covers all the aspects of your activity.
    Not only what fly are you using and how are you presenting it but, what size, color, what phase of the insects development does it represent, from what materials is it made and could I tie one that might be an improvement?
    Carry this investigative attitude into tha many facets of the hobby and it now becomes an obsession. And I use this word in a positive sense.
    You'll end up collecting comments and opinions from other equally inflicted folks and try to cross index them to help in drawing some general conclusions and then try to mentor other newbies to help them avoid all your mistakes.
    It's really more than a passion. Maybe it's an obsession or even a disease.

+ Reply to Thread