Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
.... must have been named after Clackacraft Driftboats ?? As in the Clackamas River in Oregon. Hmmmmmm .....

Actually, it is very much like a fly I've been thinking about tying off one of my better caddis patterns - an X-caddis version of the Harrop's Henry's Fork Caddis.

The Clacka Caddis appears to have a synthetic wing - antron ?? The HHFC has a biot body, peacock herl thorax, grizzly hackle, and the original has a CDC wing, but a dark deer hair wing will do the trick also, at least for some streams. Same basic profile / silhouette as the Clacka. Just add some shuck to the HHFC.

Looks like I'll have to go from the thinking stage to the tying stage ?? ( Not sure which is a bigger "ouch" !! )

John
John,

I tie my Clackas (and Iris Caddis) wings with white Congo Hair (EP fiber sub, sheds water). Since I fish them most often in lower light conditions, I like the visibility it provides even if it's not what the bug's wing looks like; tied some up with black wings too for those times when the light gets real weird around sunset and its a PITA to see much of anything. I've always loved the Iris Caddis but I think Wally's on to something with adding the hackle up front. I like the Harrop and X-2 Caddis, too, and have them in the box.

Regards,
Scott