+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Catoctin Mountains MD

Hybrid View

Default Catoctin Mountains MD

Fished Big Hunting Creek for a few hours this afternoon; cloudy, misty, temps in the 60's. Good flow of water, helped out by thunderstorms last night, a bit of color in the stream. Saw a variety of bugs - BWOs, a couple bigger mayflies identity unknown (too far away for a good look), yellow sallies and lime sallies; no sulphurs or green drakes (bummer). The brown trout were looking up and in the mood - caught them in the heavier water on foam-back convertibles (color didn't seem to matter) and in the quiet stretches on Wally's Clacka Caddis (can't wait to get out to Montana and try them out there); most were 7-10" but did manage to fool one a bit over 12". A nice way to spend a few hours. Sorry, no pics. Hope everyone else gets out this weekend.

Regards,
    Scott

Cool Sounds like a fun day ...

... out with the convertible !! Must have gotten a bit wet with the top down ??

That's quite a soup of flies to have to work your way through. Tough duty, but we know you are up to it.

I assume the Wally's Clacka Caddis is from Walter Weiss ?? aka .... sorry, the BB name doesn't come to mind just off hand, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone by using the wrong one.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

That is Mr. Wiese's caddis. Should have provided a link, so here it is: http://www.parksflyshop.com/newflies.htm You're right, it wouldn't seem like typical weather for a convertible, but I had to take mine out for a spin. Do you have any left? They should work well in your neighborhood soon.

Regards,
    Scott

Wink I've been keeping mine ....

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    ... You're right, it wouldn't seem like typical weather for a convertible, but I had to take mine out for a spin. Do you have any left? They should work well in your neighborhood soon.

Regards,
    Scott
    .... under cover until the weather clears up and I can take them for a ride in some sunshine !!

John
    The fish are always right.

Nice! I like fishing big beetles, ants and hopper/cricket patterns after a storm for brownies. those fish are just waiting under cover for some big terrestrial tidbits to fall in the creek after a storm!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Nice report and I'm glad you had some fun.
    Question: what is a foam back convertible?

+ Reply to Thread