+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dubbing Rake

Default Dubbing Rake

I was looking for a dubbing rake to use on a hare's mask. I found a ceramic one for $49.95 + shipping. Which is a bit much to spend for a tool that is not used that often.

Has anyone made a dubbing rake and if so, what did you use? Or have you found a commercially made one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I haven't tried it, Dave, but I read somewhere that a short section of a hacksaw blade works well.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave,

I picked up a surgical tool called a sharp pointed retractor at the local Army Navy store that works great. It's made out of surgical stainless steel and looks like a tiny rake with either four or six very sharp pointed curved tines. I think I paid $1 for it. You should be able to find one in your local Army Navy store. Let me know if you're not able to locate one and I'll drop by my store to check for you if you'd like.

Jim Smith

Jim

Unfortunately we do not have an Army Navy store where I live, so yes the next time you're in the store please check.

After I posted this thread I did another search and found some other possibilites (Feather Craft for one) that sells them for much less. But, I'll wait to hear if you were able to find one locally before I order one.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Normand Guest

I've used the Dubbing Rake from Wasatch Tools for several years with excellent results. Price is around 11 bucks I think. It has stayed sharp a long time. Last year I was given a Waldron Ceramiscrape Dubbing Rake. What a marvelous tool! It will stay sharp longer than I will live, something to be passed down to the grandkids.

That being said, my friend, Mike Connor, said he has used pieces of hacksaw blade for years. Cut a small slot (crosswise) in a piece of dowel and epoxy a 1/2 inch to 1 inch piece of hacksaw blade into the slot. Blades with feer teeth per inch will get mostly underfur, blades with a lot of teeth per inch will get a good cross section of guard hair and underfur. Big advantage is you can get lots of dubbing rakes from a single blade. When one gets dull, simply make a new one.

These dubbing rakes can be used on all manner of critter skins. I use mine on mole, hare (masks and body), squirrel, fox, ermine, beaver and so on. Quite a useful tool to have in your fly tying kit.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I bought the one from Feather-Craft ($4.95) and have been pleased with it.

Dave, I made one out of a short length of 3/8 " dowel and a fine tooth hacksaw blade, works great !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Default Make A dubbng rake

I have been needing to figure out how to post photos here from Photobucket. I thought this project would be a good one to try and it might help someone else out. How I did this project is for an example, you may choose to do something different.

Building a Dubbing Rake

Assemble the materials:

Cut the hacksaw blade using a dremel tool and cut-off wheel:

Smooth the sharp edges and round the corners:

Heat the screwdriver blade tip:

Bend the blade 90 Degrees:

Squeeze the JB weld out on mixing pad and mix thouroughly:

Add epoxy to the inside of the screwdriver blade (this will cause the hacksaw blade to pull against the screwdrive blade and will be stronger.

Add hacksaw blade to screwdriver handle, add extra epoxy to outside and smooth:

Raking course fur:

Raking fine fur:

This has turned out to be a very useful tool.
    iaflyfisher

iaflyfisher,

Excellent pictorial. Thanks for posting that.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread