+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: danvise???

With such a popular vise I'm surprised that the manufacturer does not get the message about the shaft diameter conflict.

Ray,
    The Danvise is made in Denmark, It's Metric.

I didn't see any mention of the optional extension arm for the Danvise. I recomend it for the extra space it provides, making the vise easier and more comfortable to use.
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

Hi Shaun,

The vise has served us well for the better part of 12 years. Yes, it is made of delrin (high test plastic to some people) which is a product originally developed for roller bearings in factory conveyor belts; it's really tough stuff but it is possible to break it if you try hard enough. The jaws are the strong point and also the weak point as some tiers have discovered. The mechanical engineer who developed the jaw/cam unit really hated to have his hooks slip in the jaws (his name is Thorkild Damm from Denmark) so he engineered the cam to apply a jaw closing ratio of 10 to 1. Most American made cam vises work on a 2.5 or 3.0 to 1 ratio. SO, it is real easy to over stress the jaws (or hook) if the tier doesn't follow the adjustment instructions we send on a DVD with the vise. If you happen to purchase a Danvise from an Orvis dealer you won't receive the DVD instruction but can find the same video files on our home page on the right hand side under "Danvise Central." Watch the video if you want to learn more about the vise before making a purchase decision. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92Esquire View Post
    Steven-

Not to question your experience, but I'm curious about this statement. While I understand that the Renzetti has jaw adjustment screws on one side of the vise, which may impact left vs. right handed, my Dyna King Barracuda is designed so that the only screw that protrudes from the side (tension screw for the rotation) can be inserted through either side of the vise. All other adjustments are in-line with the axis of rotation, which I would assume would make them identical for left or right handed tiers.

Additionally, when I tied on a PEAK vise, all of the adjustments were along the axis of rotation as well. Is there something I'm not considering? I'm right handed, and most folks I've tied with are right handed, so I've never encountered this.

I'm not posting this to rag on the Danvise, I'm just wondering how it is superior to other rotaries for left handed tiers.
    Esquire,
    The jaws attach to the vice via an adapter. Both a right-hand and a left-hand adapter are included with the vice. I tie right-handed, so I can't comment as to superiority. However, it should work as well for a lefty as it would for a righty.

F_F
    I have had my Danvise for two and a half years, now. I have a little wear on the tips of the jaws from early on. I should have paid more attention to the instructions when I got the vise. (I'm a man, I don't need no stinkin' instructions!) This doesn't affect my ability to use the vise. I was clamping size 22's in it last weekend.
    I actually use the rotary feature for something besides looking at the other side of my fly! There are a lot more uses I could be/should be taking advantage of, but sometimes I get a little too focused on the job at hand.

Don't let the "plastic" scare you. In this case, Delrin is more than adequate to the task. (EDIT: Removed in-accurate comparison. kb)

I highly recommend the Danvise. I doubt if I will ever need another vise. (Want, on the other hand....)

Regards,

Kirk
    Last edited by crazy4oldcars; 06-05-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Looked up the wrong stat

+ Reply to Thread