+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: danvise???

Hybrid View

Question danvise???

hi all,

im in the market for a new vise and have found a danvise for $70...im curious if any of you are using one and what you think of it...it seems to be one of the better vices in my price range...right now im tying on an old regal coppy but its getting worn out and doesnt like to hold hooks like it used to...thanks in advance for any input

shaun

Shaun,

I tied on a Danvise for a number of years. They are a great value and a very good vise. Best Regards.....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

I have a Danvise and really like it. $70. is a fair price for the vise. I also have the book by Al and Gretchen Beatty "Rotary Fly Tying Tecniques". Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Excellent vise - get one. If you have any questions call Al Beatty who is a long-time Sponsor here - he will tell you the straight story.
    888-243-3597

I use one and love it..and also have a copy Regal but prefere to use the Danvise.
    Also got an extention from ebay for $10.00 which makes it even better for tying lengthy and larger flies.
    You'll enjoy it from 5/0 all the way down to a size 32 hooks.
    The Copy Regal will break some hooks and shoot em into the wall and is accually kinda dangerous and for this reason I feel safe using the DanVise.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

Well worth it! I love mine. I picked up a pedistal base at Cabelas and really prefer that now.

I've tied a couple of thousand flies on mine, I'd guess. It will do pretty much all you ask for from size 2 to size 24 (at least this is the range that I've tied).

Two points I would make:

1) You do have to be careful how you set hooks smaller than size 20. I've had smaller go flying.
    2) The stem is a little bit bigger than the normal 3/8" diameter. So not all accessories will fit on the stem.
    Last edited by Steven; 05-27-2010 at 02:32 PM.

I have tied on Danvise, and I believe they are the best rotary vise for the money. Besides that they are the only rotary vise that is designed to be setup for use by either right or left-handed fly tiers. Al and Gretchen Beatty of BT's Fly Fishing Products (Sponsor of FAOL) can set you up they even have video's to help you in the setup. Only BT's Fly Fishing Products have available the extension arm by Danvise (they are the only source of this extension arm (within the USA). BT's Fly Fishing Products has been a Sponsor on FAOL almost from the beginning of FAOL in 1997. Fair prices, reputable service, and excellent consumer ratings. ~Parnelli

Parnelli
    Go to their web site to see what else they have... http://www.btsflyfishing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
    ... Besides that they are the only rotary vise that is designed to be setup for use by either right or left-handed fly tiers.
    Steven-

Not to question your experience, but I'm curious about this statement. While I understand that the Renzetti has jaw adjustment screws on one side of the vise, which may impact left vs. right handed, my Dyna King Barracuda is designed so that the only screw that protrudes from the side (tension screw for the rotation) can be inserted through either side of the vise. All other adjustments are in-line with the axis of rotation, which I would assume would make them identical for left or right handed tiers.

Additionally, when I tied on a PEAK vise, all of the adjustments were along the axis of rotation as well. Is there something I'm not considering? I'm right handed, and most folks I've tied with are right handed, so I've never encountered this.

I'm not posting this to rag on the Danvise, I'm just wondering how it is superior to other rotaries for left handed tiers.

Quote Originally Posted by 92Esquire View Post
    Steven-

Not to question your experience, but I'm curious about this statement. While I understand that the Renzetti has jaw adjustment screws on one side of the vise, which may impact left vs. right handed, my Dyna King Barracuda is designed so that the only screw that protrudes from the side (tension screw for the rotation) can be inserted through either side of the vise. All other adjustments are in-line with the axis of rotation, which I would assume would make them identical for left or right handed tiers.

Additionally, when I tied on a PEAK vise, all of the adjustments were along the axis of rotation as well. Is there something I'm not considering? I'm right handed, and most folks I've tied with are right handed, so I've never encountered this.

I'm not posting this to rag on the Danvise, I'm just wondering how it is superior to other rotaries for left handed tiers.
    Esquire,
    The jaws attach to the vice via an adapter. Both a right-hand and a left-hand adapter are included with the vice. I tie right-handed, so I can't comment as to superiority. However, it should work as well for a lefty as it would for a righty.

F_F
    I have had my Danvise for two and a half years, now. I have a little wear on the tips of the jaws from early on. I should have paid more attention to the instructions when I got the vise. (I'm a man, I don't need no stinkin' instructions!) This doesn't affect my ability to use the vise. I was clamping size 22's in it last weekend.
    I actually use the rotary feature for something besides looking at the other side of my fly! There are a lot more uses I could be/should be taking advantage of, but sometimes I get a little too focused on the job at hand.

Don't let the "plastic" scare you. In this case, Delrin is more than adequate to the task. (EDIT: Removed in-accurate comparison. kb)

I highly recommend the Danvise. I doubt if I will ever need another vise. (Want, on the other hand....)

Regards,

Kirk
    Last edited by crazy4oldcars; 06-05-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Looked up the wrong stat

+ Reply to Thread