Attention John Scott and whoever wants to discuss this fly.

John,
I've had a few thoughts as you have gone through your journey with the FEB flies...and I start this thread to not interfere with the other threads.

What would you think of furling the abdomen larger when fishing the large salmon flies or even the goldens.....given the size fat abdomens of especially the beast,,,Pteronarcys californicus?

Do you get the Fly Tyer magazine? In the last issue there is an article entitled "The New Stone Age"....listing some 16 stonefly imitations ...both dry and wet...dries mostly foam....the girdle bug or whatever you want to call it is even listed....
Do you know of a Deschutes guide ...Norm Wood? A "Norm Wood Special" is mentioned in the article...it is a dry fly that was considered one of the best for the salmonfly hatch. I bring it up because he used a specially dyed calftail ...tied down wing....as you and George mentioned in the other thread.
I've been thinking that your flies would be ideal to use some Norm Wood calftail...trying that color.
In the article the special is shown basically tied as a Stimulator which is not how Norm tied them.....his were before the stimulator ...but there is a similarity....{I sometimes wonder if Randall Kaufmann got the idea for the stimulator from Norm's fly}....and his are more wing down than the illustration. Also they call the color pink but IMO it is not actually pink....

http://www.flyfishingdeschutes.com/a...php?recKey=142