+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: danvise???

I have tied on Danvise, and I believe they are the best rotary vise for the money. Besides that they are the only rotary vise that is designed to be setup for use by either right or left-handed fly tiers. Al and Gretchen Beatty of BT's Fly Fishing Products (Sponsor of FAOL) can set you up they even have video's to help you in the setup. Only BT's Fly Fishing Products have available the extension arm by Danvise (they are the only source of this extension arm (within the USA). BT's Fly Fishing Products has been a Sponsor on FAOL almost from the beginning of FAOL in 1997. Fair prices, reputable service, and excellent consumer ratings. ~Parnelli

Parnelli
    Go to their web site to see what else they have... http://www.btsflyfishing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by steveks View Post
    Great vise. Bought mine years 3 years ago and have been very happy with it.
    Ditto.
    Great vise, easy on the wallet. I like the clamp base...I've even tied flies many times in my vehicle by clamping the vise to the steering wheel.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Love mine. I have tied down to size 30 Tiemco hooks.
    I spent some time just putting different size hooks into see how well they would hold.
    I find the tension you put on the hook makes a big difference on how well they stay in. To much tension on small hooks made them come out.
    20 minutes to find the size 22 hook.

Rick

I have a half dozen vises, including the Danvise. I have never really liked it, so I don't tie on it much. It just doesn't feel as sturdy or well-made as the other aluminum and brass vises I use (Renzetti, Dyna-King). I bought it for my son (who is left handed) but he doesn't use it, so it's been in the box for a decade.

thanks for the feed back...it looks like a danvise is in my future...i read a couple of reviews on cabelas website...it seems a couple people have broken parts and blame it on the vise being made of plastic...have any of you run into this problem?

thanks

shaun

I bought my DanVise a year ago and love it. IMO you can't beat it for the money. I also subscribed to Mike Holt's Main Rotary Fly Tying site and I have really enjoyed learning to use the rotary tying techniques. I have not had one issue with the vice. So I would encourage you to have fun with that DanVise. You did well with the price; I paid $80 for mine. Best wishes.

My danvise has done everything I have ever needed it to. It can hold a variety of hook sizes, trout to saltwater. The hooks don't slip. Solid value. The Beatty's are top notch people. Put it this way, if they were your neighbors, you'd be friends.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by fly_flicker View Post
    thanks for the feed back...it looks like a danvise is in my future...i read a couple of reviews on cabelas website...it seems a couple people have broken parts and blame it on the vise being made of plastic...have any of you run into this problem?
    I've cranked on the fittings fairly hard when attaching it to a steering wheel. I've not broken anything on it...its a pretty solid vice.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

right on!...ill have a danvise on the way shortly....thanks again for all of the feedback

shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
    ... Besides that they are the only rotary vise that is designed to be setup for use by either right or left-handed fly tiers.
    Steven-

Not to question your experience, but I'm curious about this statement. While I understand that the Renzetti has jaw adjustment screws on one side of the vise, which may impact left vs. right handed, my Dyna King Barracuda is designed so that the only screw that protrudes from the side (tension screw for the rotation) can be inserted through either side of the vise. All other adjustments are in-line with the axis of rotation, which I would assume would make them identical for left or right handed tiers.

Additionally, when I tied on a PEAK vise, all of the adjustments were along the axis of rotation as well. Is there something I'm not considering? I'm right handed, and most folks I've tied with are right handed, so I've never encountered this.

I'm not posting this to rag on the Danvise, I'm just wondering how it is superior to other rotaries for left handed tiers.

+ Reply to Thread