+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kayak tarpon

Thank you for "setting me straight". My question was not meant to be antagonistic but since you seem to have taken it that way, I apologize.

I wasn't aware that the tarpon season had been reopened after its winter closure and that was the reason for my question.

sorry to be snappy...I fish for a living and I take extreme pride in my work...tarpon can be fished for whether the season is closed or not, you just cant keep them...they are not to be lifted out of the water, even by taggers without the $50 tag, a rule broken by 99.9% of everybody...when you see a tarpon picture the tag must be present on the fish or it is simply an illegal catch...a rule even american presidents break while fishing here...since they are not enforcing it so much for whatever reason the act continues...

whoops

a few more to ponder...

Thats a BUNCH of great pictures, Cordell! Next time I'm down, you'll have to lead me to some tarpon (I know you can't put 'em on the hook for me!).

So...after a summer of fishing, after the fish kill earlier this year...what is your assessment of the damage?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

heavy bonefish loss...only 4 for the yr for me and all smaller than I have ever seen but I do see pods at times with huge numbers but they pass thru without staying long...notice the one in the yellow kayak with a huge tail and small body, new species(in theory)...I should have about 30 or so by now...the snook here are the best I have seen even though I know they took a pounding...I see monsters in the canals...permit just started to show after the July full moon...none for 8 solid month but now seeing up to 50 a day...tarpon are totally in control IMO..the canal you fished and where you stayed at are on fire every day before the sun is up and hot...where you stood and casted for peacocks at the daycare is now jacks and tarpon bigtime...sadly not a single peacock has been seen in the entire Miami Airport Lakes system...that is where they were stocked originally for all of miami...just huge carp and tarpon basically but the numbers are very high...gone are basically all the cuda, sharks, rays and assorted baits which leaves a huge gap...still not possible to stay on fish for 8hrs
    Last edited by bonefishwhisperer; 08-18-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Good stuff...Thanks for posting

+ Reply to Thread