+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kayak tarpon

Hybrid View

Default kayak tarpon

1st poon of 2010 from the kayak...great action and lots of high flying for the 8wt and 10lb tippet...the electric dread (as usual) sealed the fate....

Way yonder cool as always Cordell...The Dread is deadly again

What's in the baskets? And where do you sit?
    Hugs,
    LF

those are my stripping baskets in case of heavy winds and rains etc....I rarely use them except when on the move...once I cast I dont strip back into the basket until last cast...seat is in the middle but remember that I rarely sit down unless in super tight area...it is laid out to attack like a dbl throwing star....if cast both on the front and off the back and even the sides....I have complete stability

Sweet fish!!!

Tarpon is the one fish that I really would like to catch someday. Very good fish. Do they pull the kayak very far?
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

You didn't keep this tarpon, did you? It appears dead in the photo.

Has the tarpon season been reopened in Florida? Due to the Jan/Feb. fishkill in the record cold snap in FL, the tarpon and bonefish season had been closed until April and then the FWC would decide if it would reopen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You didn't keep this tarpon, did you? It appears dead in the photo.

Has the tarpon season been reopened in Florida? Due to the Jan/Feb. fishkill in the record cold snap in FL, the tarpon and bonefish season had been closed until April and then the FWC would decide if it would reopen.
    dude let me set you straight...I am a guide for a living....I am one of the 40 hand picked guides from TARBONE and one of the most prolific taggers on the books...I tag bones, tarpon, redfish and permit and am a professional in every way...I also take fin clips and am in constant contact with the University of Miami Rosenstiel School...much of what you read about florida bonefish is based on MY research

Thank you for "setting me straight". My question was not meant to be antagonistic but since you seem to have taken it that way, I apologize.

I wasn't aware that the tarpon season had been reopened after its winter closure and that was the reason for my question.

sorry to be snappy...I fish for a living and I take extreme pride in my work...tarpon can be fished for whether the season is closed or not, you just cant keep them...they are not to be lifted out of the water, even by taggers without the $50 tag, a rule broken by 99.9% of everybody...when you see a tarpon picture the tag must be present on the fish or it is simply an illegal catch...a rule even american presidents break while fishing here...since they are not enforcing it so much for whatever reason the act continues...

whoops

+ Reply to Thread