+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cane

Hybrid View

Default Cane

A member on the Crappie.com board cut down some cane on his property in Tenn. and it's just sitting there FREE if you pick it up. Don't know anything other than that, except I'd like a cane rod LOL. Here's the thread:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...l-west-tn.html

Fatman

Wish this was a dream come true, BUT a couple of the big American can rod building companies tried to grow bamboo in the US to try and keep from having to import it - or to just have some after the blockade - and the cane was not suitable for fly rods. It might be just fine for the "old cane pole" which had a line tied to the end and was fished for catfish and such...but even then would need to be dried first. Sorry....

LF - absolutely right. However, for those wishing to practice on some cheaper material before putting their hands and tools to the Grade A or B culms - this stuff - or others from Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc - is excellent for practice. A couple bucks for a 8ft culm versus 40+ ..... easy going practice material.
    But yes - if it's green ..... not too good for a couple years.

darrell,

I personally have a made a couple of decent to fair quads with cane grow in my uncles back yard in Austin TX. By far it is not the best for a cane rod application but it is ok for beginning and getting the hang of working with cane without the cost of good tonkin stuff. Get some, play with it, have a good time, learn something and by all means let us know how it goes.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread