+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Rod

Default Broken Rod

I went fishing this weekend and broke my rod. I was hoping someone might have some insight into how it happened as this is the first rod I have broke without the help of a vehicle.

It was pretty windy out and as such I was casting herder than normal (I don't think hard enough to cause it to break). I snagged a juniper on my back cast and didn't realize until I was casting it out and when I felt the snag I then felt a snap and the rod broke between the 2nd and 3rd guides.

And to add insult to injury the only other rod I had was a 6ft 3wt which folded from the wind and my day was done.

Adam

------------------
    vox clamantis in deserto

Adam,

Do you remember ever hitting the rod with a fly during a cast? I'm not sure what your experience level is, but that's a common problem for beginners. The fly can be moving pretty fast and if it hits the rod it can weaken it at that point, epecially if it's a weighted fly. The next time the rod is in a stressful situation, it could break at the spot where it was hit.

"but that's a common problem for beginners"

Believe me, old fartz are NOT necessarily exempt either!

Thanks Gadabout, that is probably exactly what happened. It seems like it is always windy when I get out fishing.

Thanks Lee, I have been fishing for a while and hate to think I haven't gotten past beginner, but definately am not an expert. And not getting to fish enough I always think bacik and feel like I was better when I was a beginner.

Adam

This is not much consolation but it is much better to break a rod WHILE fishing than the other option ie. winding up a window with the rod tip hanging out between pools. Personal experience
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Blog Entries

Little advice from past experience:

1) It's your fault. You're either not an accomplished fisherman, you're clumsy or you did it on purpose.

2) Don't even think about sending it in under warranty.. you're costing us all money.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Hide Hunter,
    #1 sounds a little harsh, and because of that I am definately going to do #2.

Nick, there is only about 8in broken off and we don't get much ice around here.

Caster, I can feel your pain. I had one get crushed by a car door and a gust of wind. Lesson learned on that one!!

Adam

Hide Hunter, I look forward to your series of books on fly casting perfection coming out. On your second point, don't buy any more rods with warranties. That way you aren't getting jammed up by some guy that has a rod break while fishing it.

I broke one at a show about the same way. I raped a loop around the back bar of the out of bounds trying to get a cast out of the pond. When I came forward the added resistance of the leader raped around the cross member made the rod explode between the 2ed and 3ed guide. When you are casting hard on a forward cast the rod is bent back in a nice ark. The bush you hooked made your rod bend just as if you were high sticking the rod on a fish or snag, maybe even worse as you had all of your forward momemtom going as well. I doubt there is any fault in the rod, just an accident.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread