+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: my experimentation with a uv cured material

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Kelkay:

"Black Lights" are UV lights, and are/were routinely used in bug zappers. Replacement tubes used to be readily available at most hardware and feed stores. Th 'bug zapper' tubes fit nicely into Dazor-type fluorescent desk lights. The tubes were not that expensive; but it has been years since I last bought one. Geologists/minerologists use a small hand-held version to confirm rock/mineral identification as many fluoresce under UV light. Have no idea about cost.

Aged sage

I saw this stuff used at a show and thought it had some great promise. If I remember right it does NOT use a standard UV light but something with a different wave length. This stuff was developed by taking a dental product so maybe your dentist is the best choice for this stuff. Forget about the floride treatment, go see your dentist for this stuff. http://www.theflyfishers.com/fly-sho...&ID=81&pID=363

Kelkay, the flies look fantastic.

Blog Entries

Yes Clear Cure Goo is another good product. This thread wasn't meant to be an all around uv cured product thread. It was just my experimenting with a particular product. I have never used the other ones, and I know some are similar. This particular line of flies I made with Bug Bond is something I have wanted to try on stripers, hybrid stripers, and lmb. I know some salt water type flies work for the bass, and I just wanted to see if these would. I am thinking of making some larger Thunder Creeks with this material too. Bug Bond (or a similar product) would be good for scud backs too etc... If anyone has a fly they make that is a good all around bass fly in this line similar to a surf candy, I would like to see them too.
    I made these with Aleen's Fabric Fushion a while back. This is along the same lines, but I much prefer the Bug Bond. It is much easier to use and cure too.

The bottom fly got a big hit on it, as I did try it, but I lost the fish, I don't know what it was. I have not used the other two yet.
    Last edited by kelkay; 05-31-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't think just any uv light will work, as each product cures at a certain wavelength of uv...at least that was my impression. The light I bought and spoke of was less than 7 bucks, you cannot beat that. It uses 3 AAA batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by aged_sage View Post
    Kelkay:

"Black Lights" are UV lights, and are/were routinely used in bug zappers. Replacement tubes used to be readily available at most hardware and feed stores. Th 'bug zapper' tubes fit nicely into Dazor-type fluorescent desk lights. The tubes were not that expensive; but it has been years since I last bought one. Geologists/minerologists use a small hand-held version to confirm rock/mineral identification as many fluoresce under UV light. Have no idea about cost.

Aged sage

Blog Entries

The lights the dentist use are very expensive, but they are along the same lines. I am glad you like the look of the previous flies. The last set I have here are not uv cured, and they took a lot of time to do. The Aleene's Fabric Fusion gets kind of heavy, I added more than I needed to trying to get an even coat. They don't look bad, but they are time consuming, and require a whole lot of spinning, and reapplying. More time than they are worth...that is why I desperately wanted to try the Bug Bond. I need more practice with it, but I am very pleased with how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I saw this stuff used at a show and thought it had some great promise. If I remember right it does NOT use a standard UV light but something with a different wave length. This stuff was developed by taking a dental product so maybe your dentist is the best choice for this stuff. Forget about the floride treatment, go see your dentist for this stuff. http://www.theflyfishers.com/fly-sho...&ID=81&pID=363

Kelkay, the flies look fantastic.

Oh ya, I remember now since I have to move my tying desk. I came across this RIO UV Knot Sealer, which can be used in the same fashion. The only thing you need to harden it is the sunlight. It can also be used as a hole patchier in your waders the only thing is apply it in the shade and move it into the sun light. I use this as a shell back on some Copper Johns and some stone flies. It's kinda flexible but is nice and durable.

+ Reply to Thread