+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my experimentation with a uv cured material

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default my experimentation with a uv cured material

I just got some stuff called Bug Bond last weekend. You have to order it from England though. I like it because it is not tacky when you cure it. I got a uv flashlight from Ebay for 6.95 that works well with it. Bug Bond is an alternative to epoxy. I have never done well with epoxy, and I guess you could consider me "epoxy challenged". So I was determined to get some of this Bug Bond stuff and give it a go. I need to practice on getting a smooth body though, but these will do. I tried Aleene's Fabric Fushion, but this is so much better, there is no comparison.

Last edited by kelkay; 05-25-2010 at 09:09 PM.

See now...THAT really IS a good-looking fly! ...er..minnow. )

How long does it take to cure? And how much does it cost, including shipping from England?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

It is close to 40 dollars to get it to Texas. http://www.bug-bond.moonfruit.com/ It is not cheap. 21 UV LED Ultra Violet Black light Flashlight 395 nM BK this is from LED Wholesalers. product code is 7305UV395.

I got the light on Ebay from them. They have a light they sale for I believe it was 60 dollars at Bug Bond, but I tried this light, as I heard someone mentioned it worked for them, and this works for me too. Their light is probably better and will last longer than mine, but I didn't have much to spend, and this allowed me to get it and try it. But not to have to mess with epoxy and all made the price worth it. You must use sunglasses with the flashlight, a good pair too. But it allowed me to make some flies I have wanted to tie for a while now...a sort of surf candy for warm water. I thought the LMB, hybrid stripers, and stripers would go after these flies. I tied some of these flies with costume wig hair(the bottom 3 photos), in case someone wondered about that. Bug Bond needs to be kept out of the light, and it needs a temp in the low forties to high seventies in temperature to store it. I think the stuff is fantastic and it is a pleasure to add this to my fly tying arsenal.
    I guess I should add that I love the product, but am not associated with Bug Bond in any way. I know there are other good products out there, I just wanted something I didn't have to mess with too much, that was clear, and cured fast. Bug Bond fits the bill for me.
    Last edited by kelkay; 05-27-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: addition

Blog Entries

The light makes it cure very fast...I'd say 3-5 seconds or so depending on how thick you have it on there. These flies are supposed to be a young fish, not really a bait fish pattern. The red and yellow one I just call an attractor pattern. They may not catch many fish, but who knows till ya try it out. This is just something I wanted to try. The pink and green flies are meant to be a trout imitation mostly. I fish at a lake that stocks rainbow trout that are small in the winter. The bass snack on them. I thought the color combo might make some of those big boys want to have a taste test on my fly....time will tell.
    Last edited by kelkay; 05-25-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Nice job Kelkay... those look like fishcatchinflys to me!...

Kel- very nice work. I work alot with thickened vinyl cement, but the fumes give me voices in my head.

Questions:
    1. How soft/hard to the touch is it?
    2. How heavy is it compared to epoxy.
    3. How thick is it? Do the fly heads need to be rolled while drying with the light?
    4. Can glitters be mixed in?
    5. Can it be layered to build it up?
    6. Is it petroleum based? Have fumes? Thinner?
    7. What happens to it if it gets too warm or sits too long in the light?
    8. Will it take highlighters permanently?
    9. Sounds weird, but will it stick to a goose biot? (leg shaping)
    10. How much did you get when you ordered it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonO1 View Post
    Kel- very nice work. I work alot with thickened vinyl cement, but the fumes give me voices in my head.

Questions:
    1. How soft/hard to the touch is it? about the same as epoxy I think...but I could be wrong
    2. How heavy is it compared to epoxy. maybe a little lighter, but as Dave as I am not sure...I don't use epoxy much cause I mess it up
    3. How thick is it? Do the fly heads need to be rolled while drying with the light? unless you put on a little much, it won't sag...if it sags you need to turn it or use a bodkin to level it out again...I think it comes out at a good consistency...I do not know what you could use to thin it...I would assume alcohol, but as Dave. He has a cool Facebook page too. I do not have a Facebook, but if I did I would join it. He has a video on the site showing how to use the product. He is going to do more videos for the new folks to get them started out right.
    4. Can glitters be mixed in? I would sprinkle it on and do another layer.
    5. Can it be layered to build it up? yes
    6. Is it petroleum based? Have fumes? Thinner? It stinks, but not as bad as epoxy. Hydroxyethyl methacrylate, hydroxypropyl methacrylate I think were the chemical make up ....you can contact Dave Edwards with more particular questions, he a great guy to deal with.
    7. What happens to it if it gets too warm or sits too long in the light? it will cure if you leave it by a window...so keep it in the dark
    8. Will it take highlighters permanently? I do not know the answer to that.
    9. Sounds weird, but will it stick to a goose biot? (leg shaping) I have not tried it, but I believe it will.
    10. How much did you get when you ordered it?
    A small bottle. 20ml

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...11622588859628 Here is the Facebook link. You can read there, and contact Mr. Edwards about any more questions that I could not help you with. He will get with you and discuss any questions you have.
    Last edited by kelkay; 05-26-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks mahanvey...I hope they do catch fish...I believe they will in the area I want to fish them at.

Clear Cure Goo is another UV product that seems to work just fine.
    They have a UV/led flashlight for 30 bucks too.

Those look Great! Does it add much weight to the fly?

aa
    Last edited by appalachian angler; 05-31-2010 at 12:18 AM.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

+ Reply to Thread