+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UNDERSTANDING EMERGERS AND SELECTIVE TROUT - Eye of the guide - May 24, 2010

Blog Entries

Default UNDERSTANDING EMERGERS AND SELECTIVE TROUT - Eye of the guide - May 24, 2010

UNDERSTANDING EMERGERS AND SELECTIVE TROUT

I love the challenge of working selectively feeding trout. The problem solving aspect of this type of fishing is something that I personally find very enjoyable. Not that I am always successful. Even when I am beaten by the trout I can still learn so very much. Such is the case with the story I am about to relate involving emergers and selectively feeding trout.

An excellent article and spot-on observation!

As usual, very insightful article, Tom. I was just reding an article in Fly Tyer on transitional duns. Sounds like he's on your wave length. Thanks for a great read.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Exclamation Tom nails it, again ....

.... with another valuable contribution to the wealth of knowledge here on FAOL.

I particularly enjoyed this one since it reminded me of a late spring day several years ago on the Henry's Fork below Vernon where my aquarium net came out of the water full of PMD emergers, PMD duns, PMD spinners, and two distinctly different caddis.

When I had the opportunity to fish to a couple large rising rainbow trout just upstream, I tied on a parachute rusty spinner and held my breath. Got lucky, and got both of them. Better to do it Tom's way.

John
    The fish are always right.

Great observation--ones we don't give much thought to.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    .... with another valuable contribution to the wealth of knowledge here on FAOL.

I particularly enjoyed this one since it reminded me of a late spring day several years ago on the Henry's Fork below Vernon where my aquarium net came out of the water full of PMD emergers, PMD duns, PMD spinners, and two distinctly different caddis.

When I had the opportunity to fish to a couple large rising rainbow trout just upstream, I tied on a parachute rusty spinner and held my breath. Got lucky, and got both of them. Better to do it Tom's way.

John

I'm still at the "hope this is the one" stage. I'm going to be more attentive to the different stages of the PMD life cycle on my favorite spring creek water this year. One of the things that I find most gratifying about your article doesn't have anything to do with the breakdown of the hatch, or the wealth of information that I now won't have to research by my own hit and miss method, but how profusely glad I am to know that I'm not the only one who takes impromptu coldwater baths.
    Last edited by Lew; 05-24-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Add text
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Just a by the by comment. That Transitional Dun article (with step by step tying instructions) in Fly Tyer magazine was authored by our own NJTroutbum. Well done!.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

The depth of information from people who actually know what they are talking about here is amazing....or perhaps better said, "PRICELESS!"

"In a Nut Shell" LadyFisher "In a Nut Shell." Well Said! Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

+ Reply to Thread