+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE - Neil - May 24, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE - Neil - May 24, 2010

I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE

In the recent issue of Arizona Highways I think I saw the future for the fly fisher of the 21st century. It was a small item on the editorial page that mentioned a new feature in the magazine, 2D bar codes. They are using these in conjunction with their articles on hiking opportunities in Arizona. The 2D bar code does not look anything like the conventional bar code that we see on products in the store. It does not contain any numbers or letters just a series of squiggly lines and some rectangles.

AMEN to all that you said Neil! As a starting bait drowner (GASP!!!) and bottom dredger it seemed to be an easy transition to nymphing and without indicators. Still prefer fishing without indicators although I tried them for a little bit just couldn't get used to watching something floating along as opposed to "feeling" a take. Been told that I'm missing out on a lot of takes; but, that's just fine with me. Came late to fly fishing and without a mentor to straighten out my many mistakes, not the least of which is pitiful fly flinging. Not a bug ID person either and that's fine too. They invented the "Keep It Simple Stupid" series just for me. happy in my ignorance. Grn Mt Man

I can relate to much of your article Neil. great reading your thoughts and perspective. That's why I tend to try and make my own future. Crowds and keeping with the trends are not requirements for catching fish:^)

You are as tep ahead of me neil. I have not got a cell phone.

Rick

Unhappy I have to confess ....

.... to regularly using technology to inform my fishing decisions.

Almost every morning for the past five or six years, I've used the usgs water data service and a reliable internet weather service to check stream flows and the ten day weather forecasts to make decisions on where to fish on the short term.

Now, about those phones that take pictures and connect to the internet and have "apps" whatever those are ....

John
    The fish are always right.

If you're looking for a good deal, keep your eye on those that come in to flyfishing expecting instant gratification.
    They'll be selling all their gear in less than 3 years
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I do not know if it evolution or revolution that we all are experiencing! Being 62 years old, I remember a time when there was no such thing as wash & wear clothes (everything was either cotton or wool. The freezer in the refrigerator was the size of a two slice toaster (half of it was taken up with the ice cube trays). Television had only three channels, and everything was black & white. Houses and cars did not have air conditioning, there were no microwave ovens, and all stores were close on Sundays and Holidays. If you needed information you visited your local library. In the large cities we has mass transits, it was called Street Cars, and many families did not own an automobile. There were no portable radios, or calculators, and computers where so large that they filled a building, and either required a ticker tape spool or a lot of punch cards to program the computer for you number crunching (only big businesses and the government had them). Cars did not have GPS, all they had was a little compass to show which direction the front of the car was pointed. Cars did not have computers, and houses did not have computers. There was a time when you could work on your own car...those days are gone.

I am wondering if our advancements are tools for us as masters to use, or are our modern tools becoming the master's telling us what to do? Sometimes I just like driving down back roads, and not take the fastest way, getting off the highways and interstate freeways, to see the America that we rarely experience anymore.

In 2001 I drove from Minnesota to the Delaware Fish-In, on the Interstate, for my return home I took the Lincoln Highway. The difference in what you experience makes the forgotten byways more enjoyable.

What will it be next, all the fish are tagged with locater chips so you will know where the fish are, and how big the fish is? Where is the sport in that?

I prefer the road less taken, it holds more discoveries than the road more taken. I will continue to take the less traveled path in life, until my time is up, but I will have experienced places and events I otherwise would have missed out on. ~Parnelli

Absolutely true Neil;

I suspect that your vision of the future might just come to pass. New technology will for some be a blessing and for others like myself sometimes a loss of something precious. I guess I am what they call a late adopter. I do not now nor have I ever owned a cell phone. On the other hand I am not about to give up my digital camera or internet and have lately been looking at the S.P.O.T. locator system that would allow my significant other to know my whereabouts when I am off seeking solitude and solving the puzzle myself on some mountain stream.
    Shaky;

+ Reply to Thread