+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RUBBER LEGS STONEFLY NYMPH - Fly of the week - May 24, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default RUBBER LEGS STONEFLY NYMPH - Fly of the week - May 24, 2010

RUBBER LEGS STONEFLY NYMPH

This fly is probably one of the best known and most fished stonefly nymphs in the Intermountain West in different sizes and colors for Salmonflies, Golden Stones, and Skwalas.*It goes by any number of names ? Bob?s, Pat?s, Bennet?s, etc. The most common reference is simply a ?rubber legs.? Say that anywhere in the Intermountain West and most fly fishers will know what you are referring to.

Nice pattern! That's a pattern that I will need to give a try. I like the superfloss legs....never used it in that fashion. Thanks for showing it to us!

Default John Scott "Fly of the Week" Patterns

The "Rubber Legs Stonefly Nymph" is the 7th "Fly of the Week" pattern by John Scott. The current "FOTW" archives do not have some of his past patterns available. I have all of his patterns are currently available in PDF which can be veiwed using the free download of the Adobe Reader. Just email me at parnelli@comcast.net.

Other FOTW patterns by John Scott are...

CDL Parachute Mayfly
    F.E.B (furled elongated body) Drake
    F.E.B. (furled extended body) Hopper
    Lizzie's Stone
    Pine Squirrel Cheater
    Twelve Cent Trout Killer

Default Steven

I do appreciate your list of the FOTWs I've submitted. I was trying to remember yesterday which flies I had submitted, and missed two that are your list !!

I would like to clarify one thing. The previous six were flies that I had not seen before and were original to me or involved techniques of fly tying that I had not seen before and were original to me.

The rubber legs stone fly nymph is not original to me. It is a highly effective pattern. I thought it worthwhile to bring it to the attention of folks who may not have run across it, or show one approach, of several, to tying it for those who have not settled on a tying sequence.

Thanks.

John
    The fish are always right.

I have caught more trout on the ole rubber legs than any other stonefly nymph pattern. I tie more complicated patterns like the Kauffman's Stonefly Nymph for fun and for gifts. I tie the rubberlegs to catch fish and I don't feel too bad if I leave one stuck on the bottom. They work for bass and panfish too.

Default Tying Tips.

It took me about 6 Rubber Legs Stonefly Nymph, to get to where I am satisfied with my dressing the pattern. My main problem was the side legs, to get the legs to angle toward the back on both sides of the nymph pattern.

I finally figured out the solution, I used a longer length of of leg material, and secured the leg material to the side of the weighted wire (covered with plastic strip from a plastic sandwich bag), then I did the the same wrap on the otherside of the hook, holding both tag ends of the legging material to the rear, making sure that the legs were aligned on both sides.

Then holding the tag ends of the legs along the sides, I did the chenille wraps forward, and secured the chenille before starting the process again.

I did one more thing, I added a short cord of 30 pound tippet material to the side of the hook shank in forward (thorax) area before wrapping the wire weight. Then I flattened the wrapped wire weight with pliers, to give the Stonefly a wider thorax appearance.

Then I went out with the pattern on the lake and immediately caught a whole bunch of fish, Crappies and Bass. ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread