+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: strike indicators

Default strike indicators

I've never used one. My new fishing buddy uses them 99% of the time. Have I been missing strikes when the line isn't taught?

Mweb,

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how you fish.

Indicators are helpful for slack line nymphing, as the strikes can sometimes be subtle.

However, some folks lust watch the line/leader junction. Indicators are just more 'visible' or easier to see, and a properly constructed and attached indicator can tell you things about your drift as well.

Not likely to 'feel' such strikes, though, you have to somehow 'see' them.

I've known some absolutley amazing nymph fishermen that never used, or even considered using, an indicator. Others that were just as successful that swore by them.

Up to you, of course.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

mwebb,

There may be a chance you are missing strikes but as buddy said many great nymphers never use indicators.

Myself, personally I almost always use an indicator when fishing nymphs not because I am worried about missing strikes, but because of the flexibility it gives you when controling depth, which in my mind is the most important factor when fishing nymphs.

There are many choices out there as far as indicators are concerned, after trying many different styles I stick with good old fashioned corkie and toothpick, but that's just me.

Anyways indicators aren't a necessity but I find they sure help, but with everything it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Good luck

Brent

Personally, I like to use indicators. On rivers I don't always, depends on the water, the drift and the size of the river. I have tried to high stick and done well. Other times I have used a larger dry with a nymph dropper for an indicator.
    On stillwater I prefer to use an indicator when deep nymphing (although I do admire Chan's style) I like the indicator, cause I can get a little farther out, instead of fishing right below me, and I can move the fly side to side and let the waves on the water move it up and down.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Clay Findlay of Spokane gave us a thorough "lesson" with indicators for chronimide presentation in stillwater MANY seasons back when we lived up there. We very erroneously, in our youth, thought we had a "handle" on "chronimide fishing" watching the line only. Will not forget the "lesson" or Clay....ever. We still preferr no "indy" for moving water though.
    ....lee s.

mwebb-

me and my dad use them every once in awhile. We got them from 1 of my dads friends and we use them in a nearby lake they helped me to start and get the hang of how the fish strike the line then I took them off and I did about the same. I don't really like having one on but my dad does.

thanks,
    cody

I don't watch a lot of those "Professional" fly fishing shows where the anglers compete for cash or prizes. But when I do it seems that they are always using an indicator. That might tell you something.

Tim Anderson

Okay, here goes. When I stillwater fish (mostly spring and early summer for hatch reason) I have a depth finder, find out where fish are hanging and with a quick release indicator I will fish Chironomids and scuds anywhere from 20 to 30 feet deep. I have caught some monsters that prefer to hang on the bottom like this and NO it isn't boring. When they are hanging in the lower depths it gets action packed at times. I caught a 28" bow and dropped my line to revive the fish, let it go and went to retrieve my line and reset indicator when I realized that I had a 24" on.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Thought and discussion about "indicators" should acknowledge that there are two basic types of them. The first is small and is used only as a visual aid. The other type is also used to suspend the fly at a particular depth - like a bobber.

Bob

The other type is also used to suspend the fly at a particular depth - like a bobber
    ... or a hopper

+ Reply to Thread