+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: strike indicators

idahofisher,
    Right on! we were talking about that today. The ones that use a big fly (which is not in season, but still a fly instead of foam or yarn) I don't get it. and if they say well, I occassionaly get hits on the big dry, as said above, so can an indicator.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Rob and FG,
    I stated it incorrectly. I reread the post that had parenthses around the ind/bobber part concerning the top fly. If I am fishing a larger fly in season (ie golden stone in early July), I will use it as an indicator certainly, but because it is a fly that should catch fish on its own merit, I do not consider it an "indicator" alone. I got a little turned around there. How about this definition, the top fly (if in season) is not solely an indicator, though it can be used for that purpose. Therefore, it is only an indicator when the fish eats the nymph, but overall it is a fly... hopefully a successful fly.

I got my strike on the flat pink foam pinch on type.....that looks like a flat pink salmon egg. That is the same indicator my friend had on that I said he got a strike on his indicator. I jokingly told him I think I will tie on a hook and pinch the indicator over it. I need to try that. But what I came on to say was.....I read where someone wanted to expierment icw indicators and hired a scuba diver to watch. Result was something like....the nymph was sucked in or taken in AND spit back out by something like 3-4 times....and the fisherman never ever set the hook......and never even knew he had those fish on!

Gem

I fish 99% of the time when nymphing with a bobber/indicator or whatever you wish to call it (I'd so hate to be politically incorrect). I use it mainly to control my depth and drift rather than to detect strikes. Most of the time when I do use this rig, I'm fishing fast, relativly shallow water, and depth/drift is critical. It's sometimes the only way to tell what the business end of your line is doing. You're just a bit too far out for highsticking, and the water is too rough/fast for linewatching. I'd catch very few fish in this type water without an indicator/bobber.

Yes, you are fly fishing. You are fishing with a fly, you are fly fishing. I don't care if you tie an 8 inch tippet to a ladder with a nymph and stick it in the water.....you are fly fishing. But who the hell cares? I don't go home and pull out my lapel and tell every one I are a fly fisherman. I fish and I don't care about the purist side of it, the semantics of it, the politically correct side of it.....I don't give a damn what anybody calls it. I just go fish.

Gem

Well said POJ. Just go fish.

i think it is GRAND to set personal limits and "boundaries". It is the imposition of these by the "owner" onto others that makes one prove God's only mistake.....He made far more horses' a$$es than He did horses!
    ....lee s.

Cardiac,

That's a pretty good question. If the indicator was a big bobber, I'd say it would be borderline. Would it be any different than a spinning rod with one of those fly bubbles? POJ implies that it would be fly fishing (the spinning rod with bubble). I think it would be a pretty interesting argument to overhear when a game warden stops you on a fly fishing only stretch of water with that rig. In some measure semantics and definitions do matter.

I think it's important for everyone to draw their own lines. And while it's fun and interesting to discuss them, it's even more important never to try to impose them on others.

Bob

My area states, artificial lures or flies, single hook, barbless, c&r. It doesn't say anything about if you have a stick, a bubble, a bobber, or a barbie doll tied on the line. I fail to see how fishing with a fly....with a bubble bobber disqualifies it as artificial lure, single hook, barbless, c&r. I never have fished with the bubble but heard of it. I still think it is LEGAL.

Differing laws in some areas.....Oregon had (has?) a river where it is FF'ing only and NO lead in the fly and no lead on the leader, and I think only floating lines. Umpqua R. Oregon. Someone say if this is right or not.....?
    What was interesting was that the same people who so diligently fight for exclusionary rules (FF only water) were the same people who screamed blue bloody he11 when the laws excluded them (top-water only). Wonder why some people want other to jump thru hoops when they are not desirous to do likewise.......?
    ....lee s.

+ Reply to Thread