+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: National Parks firearm law

For those who may have seen the recent documentary on the Griz attacks in Glacier on PBS, frankly we are very pleased to be able to legally carry in Yellowstone and where ever else we may travel in the National Park system. Are their Griz in Yellowstone? You're kidding right? I've only seen one up close and too personal and that was north of the Park in Park County (Rock Creek) south of where we now live.
    LF

Bill,
    No I have not "read"( said eric holder ) the law. In fact I have not been able to find it on the internet. I would appreciate a link if it's available to you. Having said that, however, I HAVE read many articles both pro and con and they ARE confusing. The prevalent drift is, however, that CONCEALED carry is by special ( STATE) permit only while OPEN carry is generally permitted. In fact, Wyoming specifically states that the firearm ( if fully assembled) MUST be in FULL view either on ones person or in car transport ( unless one is a Wyo resident and holds a CCW permit issued by Wyo). It would be my understanding that OPEN carry would be considered the lesser of "evils". As far as " ....you can't just carry in any state..", I'm understanding that ALL national parks are subject to the new law and NO state can PROHIBIT firearms ( BUT they MAY regulate to some degree).

PS: Hey LF, Just got a mental image of you with an S&W 44 MAG 8" 4 lb. hogleg strapped to your waist. Kinda takes that " gentle lady" thing for a long ride.
    Last edited by Marco; 05-28-2010 at 10:42 PM.

MARCO you must have search on you PC and under Washing Posts "Federal Eye" it shows the gun law was in a Credit Card bill. Yes it is only good in states where peopleare legally allowed to carry CONCEALED arms. Federal law is governed by each state regulation. A person in ILL just cant carry across states to Yellowstone and then carry in the park-----Bill

Bill,
    I went to the site you suggested and did see the headline including the word "Concealed". I do think that it was used in error. Concealed carry requires a MUCH higher standard of qualification such as use and utilization of firearms. Open carry , in most cases, requires only a legal permit to own firearms and the states own specific carry laws.. I some states, there is NO permit even required to OWN or open carry a firearm ( Wyoming eg.), BUT, there is always a special permit required for concealed carry.
    And I agree, this law pertains ONLY to areas WITHIN the boundaries of our National Parks and in most states, outside those boundaries, the weapons MUST be properly managed , disassembled etc., and probably out of reach.
    DISCRETION is a VERY important issue in obeying this law. I can just see some pundits just gnashing their teeth waiting to print " WE TOLD YA SO". I hope that we never cause that to happen.

Mark

I am trying to find some info I read that stated that firearms in National Parks will have limits like not being able to carry in public areas like information centers, museums, stores and similar areas where the public congregate in numbers.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    I am trying to find some info I read that stated that firearms in National Parks will have limits like not being able to carry in public areas like information centers, museums, stores and similar areas where the public congregate in numbers.
    If you read the Washington News that I found in search you will find none of the restrictions you mentioned. Only that it must be concealed. The state also can restrict who carries. It went into effect in Febuary and it was attatched to a "CREDIT CARD' bill of all things. BILL

Hope I can help to bring this post to an end. If some would do a little reseach there the info is out there inatead of going on and on. "CREDIT CARD BILL OF RIGHTS of 2009" has an amendment linked to the measure that permits CONCEALED wepons in national parks "WHERE ALLOWED BY STATES". This of course does mean you cant just take a wepon into any NP. You must abide by every states rules. If the state says you must be a resident or that you need their gun permit an outsider would meet with restrictions. Few states honer other states hand gun permits. BILL

The sight, handgunlaw.us gives listings of which states honor whos permits. Wyoming honors 30 other states permits right now. Most states will honor another states permit as long as it is the same as theirs .
    Wyo-Blizzard

+ Reply to Thread