+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Parks firearm law

Hybrid View

Default National Parks firearm law

Has anyone been to any of our National Parks since the new law was enacted? The new law permits OPEN carry of firearms in all National Parks. The first general public reaction to NON armed parks visitors was supposed to be VERY negative ( I'm referring to actual visitors who had first hand viewing experiences). There was also some fear that the sheer number of "toters" would paint the wrong picture of an otherwise wonderful experience with the wonders of nature.
    Maybe it's too early in the life of the law, or in the Parks visiting season to take it's temperature but maybe some of us have BEEN THERE. Also has anyone read anything after the implementation of this law- good or bad.
    Personally, I have not heard nor read any reaction.

Please note that our OPINIONS regarding this law were amply "aired" and the posts in which they appeared were justifiably LOCKED. SO, this is not a REVISIT to those opinions but merely a question "has anyone seen, heard or read....................................".

Mark

By th way, I thought EVERYONE should know, the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS swept the San Jose Sharks just about 2 hours ago. It's The HAWKS and the winnner of the Montreal and Philly conflict ( in which Phillly leads the series 3 to 1) in the Stanley Cup Finals. Sorry Tyrone Fly ( well. NOT REALLY)

Mark
    PS: Hijacking my own thread is OK ( per ME)

Default Can't do it, Marco ....

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    .... Hijacking my own thread is OK ( per ME)....
    .... hijack your own thread, I mean. That has been my understanding of the "rules" all along.

As far as guns in National Parks, I did see some local press a couple months ago with views expressed on both sides of the issue, with no clear majority. Of course, Montana is not exactly the place to get a majority opposing the new law. It will likely be a while before there is even much awareness of the situation. By this coming fall, I would expect an informal poll like this to generate some interesting comments.

John

P.S. Not to hijack your thread, but are you aware that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and I believe the National Park Service, and the interested State Agencies in most of the Intermountain West States ( Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado ) have taken the position that one is better off carrying bear spray than a gun, when it comes to dealing with critters ??

Follow the link, and be sure to read the actual linked document for verification.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...inst-grizzlies
    The fish are always right.

I think the incident that resulted in the law was the brutal murder of a young lady hiker in the north Georgia mountains. At the time she would have been a law breaker had she been armed hiking on the Appalachian Trail. The murder was caught and convicted and should be sitting of death row in Georgia.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I'm much more concerned about human predators in parks than I am animals. Saying that, however, one had better know when and how to apply the use of a firearm in any form of conflict resolution. There's training out there, if you're inclined to pack iron.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

John,
    I'll have to let billhouk's post go as unanswerable ,But, I have to tell YOU that I have BOTH the " UDAP,BIG MAMA( their spelling)" and several of the smaller containers. I have "several" because I always forget to bring one or three and have to stop in Cody to buy more. Dudley's description of me as "macho paranoid" notwithstanding, i have NO intention of harming ANY animal in our park system. My ( vast inventory) collection of bear spray will be my/our first defense in any event requiring their use. The firearm will be a last resort but it WILL be used if necessary.

Mark
    PS: I DO hope that this law does NOT bring out cammo draped and inked skinhead types for that's the consequense I most fear.
    Last edited by Marco; 05-24-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Gentlemen,
    AGAIN. lets NOT offer opinions. Just " have you heard etc.............".
    Thanks

Mark

Since I've been 'invited' to participate I'll just add that this rally on June 19 may have some bearing with future popular opinion

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/c...e=most_emailed
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Mark, it appears your fears have been realized. That is really unfortunate for everyone else.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    Since I've been 'invited' to participate I'll just add that this rally on June 19 may have some bearing with future popular opinion

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/c...e=most_emailed
    I'm not really sure what the Neo-Nazi's holding a demonstration at Gettysburgh has to do with a law abiding citizen with the proper concealed carry permits to legally carry a firearm in the parks. I didn't see anything in that article that linked the two issues together.

I have carried a firearm in the Smoky Mountains since the law was passed. However, because it is concealed, nobody would ever know I had it with me even if they were standing next to me fishing. Outside of hunting or back country camping, I'm not a big fan of open carry in crowded areas. I think it's asking for trouble or a reaction. Carrying a firearm for self defense is just that for self defense. It's not to go around saing "Hey look at me, I have a gun".

I've been to the Smoky Mtns. twice since the law was passed and so far, I've not seen anyone outside of rangers openly carrying a firearm. How many were like me with a concealed firearm is anyone's guess.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread