+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Beginner's fly outfit

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question WTB: Beginner's fly outfit

Greetings!

I am a brand new fly-fisherwoman (without her own rod) interested in buying a used fly outfit from someone who has moved onto to bigger and better rods and reels. I was considering getting the White River Dogwood Canyon outfit, because it's within my price range, but I really prefer to buy used things instead of new. There are so many things being sold these days I worry we are going to turn our planet into just a big trash bin - and I'd like to do my part to prevent that. Also, I would much more enjoy buying a rod that has some value other than monetary - a story and a history, that will become part of my story as well.

So, if any of you have an outfit you'd like to sell, or can give me advice regarding the quality of these White River, Cortland, or any of those other kits out there, I'd much appreciate it! I'm interested in a 4 or 5 piece, anything from a 5 to 8 weight, but am open to all possibilities.

Karli-Rae

P.S. I also hand-tie all my own flies, and I'd love to fulfill any special requests, in addition to the monetary payment.

DSC_0936.jpg
    Happy fishing!

Hello there Ma'm,
    You said you are interested in a used Outfit....I suggest lookin hereon the "Things for sale" thread or just hit your local Pawn Shops....just look around and Be sure to check the tip and all eyes for damage etc.,
    Maybe this will be helpful.
    Last edited by jeffro; 05-23-2010 at 02:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Jeffro!
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Welcome to the board Albasurf. I understand your concern for the planet and that is all good. If you don't find something used that fits your needs, these beginner outfits from Cabela's are on sale right now. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...907&hasJS=true You can can fish these for a while and enjoy the hobby. Remember that you are not buying your last rod, just your next rod. I am looking at your location of Iowa. If you are after trout, bass, panfish I would recomend the 5 wt over the 8 wt. For a first all around rod in your area, the 5 would problably suit your needs unless you target larger fish like carp then a 7 or 8 might be better for your situation.

Good luck and when you have more questions about the hobby this is a great place to be.

Welcome to FAOL AlbaSurf, I don't have an outfit for you but you might have luck at fly shops that sell good used demo gear. I've found fly gear on craigslist also, and of course there is Ebay and right here in FAOL as mentioned. I sure like the 'wild hopper' pattern. Great tye.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Smile Greetings, Karli-Rae ....

.... and welcome to the FAOL BB from the Bitterroot Valley MT.

Neat fly you've posted in your initial post. Certainly looking forward to more pix, since I see from your profile that you like photography. And maybe some pix of fishies when you get the chance to take some.

As far as finding a rod with a story and some history, I'm sending you a PM.

John
    The fish are always right.

Welcome to FAOL! As a new freshwater flyfisherman, I purchased my first 5 wt. outfit from LL Bean for $99 complete and even after many years of purchasing additional rods, I still feel it is a perfect way to get into flyfishing with equipment that has a guarantee from one of the finest. You can't go wrong with any level of rod/reel from this company.

Good luck!

I have one fly fishing outfit left from a big batch of stuff I bought to re-sell. For $90 plus shipping and insurance it is a nine foot five weight Gander Mountain guide series rod with a divided nylon covered tube. Includes a scientific anglers concepts reel loaded with line and backing. The rod is in like new condition with made in Korea sticker still on it and string for price tag still on tube. The reel and line are in good shape but not as pristine. This is a nice looking IM6 rod with walnut insert reel seat. I have cast the outfit and found the rod to ba mod to fast. The last time i researched shipping and insurance on this outfit it was $16.50 but I can't remember where it was shipping to so it might be a bit more.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Welcome to FAOL

I see from your profile you live in Iowa. What type of fish are you wanting the rod for? You mentioned a used 5 - 8wt. Are you planning on fishing for trout in the NE part of the state or bass, bluegills and such? If you are wanting a rod for trout, I would recommend a 8" - 8 1/2' 4wt. If you are fishing for warm water species then a 6wt. I also see from your profile that you are a nursing student, so I would imagine you don't have allot of $$$ to spend right now. I am a member of the Hawkeye Fly Fishing Association and our local Chapter Cental Iowa Fly Fishers. I'll ask around and see if someone have a rod, reel and line they may want to part with and isn't wanting an arm and a leg for it. If I find anything, I'll send you a pm.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Welcome aboard, nice to have another gal here...we are few in number, but dedicated! Enjoy the journey.
    Hugs,
    LadyFisher

+ Reply to Thread