+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help!

Hybrid View

Default Help!

I'm just starting out and I need suggestions on some good fly patterns to start with. Trout and panfish for now.
    Last edited by Hookedintheear; 05-22-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Hooked,

Contact your local Fly Shop or Fly Fishing Club. They can tell you what patterns will work in your neck of the woods. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Google Kentucky Fly Fishing...lots of sites. Go here and click on Fly Tying in the menu on the right which will take you to a page where you will scroll down until you get to Fly Tying Frenzy 2004, 2005 etc...Click on that and there are myriads of flies tied by Kentuckians . I hope this helps. You've got lots of beautiful water in that state of yours. Enjoy!
    mcsteff

Thanks I appreciate it!

Hookedintheear, welcome to FAOL. Sorry I acan't help on trout flies but panfish flies is another story. Top water flies are a blast with gills. Try soft foam poppers and such, you can find patterns in fly tying section, yellows, black, tan and green seem to work well. Wet flies/nymphs, the caddis stone fly types. Try wooly worms and woolybuggers both, gills and bass will really hit them hard. Good luck and enjoy yourself here, John.

Normand Guest

most if not all trout patterns will catch panfish!

wooly buggers

elk hair caddis

hares ears

soft hackles

flymphs

foam spiders

etc etc etc

Panfish (bluegills and the like): Black gnat, wet, #12. (Black chenille body; white wings, black tail and hackle.

Crappie: mainly white Clouser, smallish

Trout: Beadhead Prince nymph #10.

(All will work better once you learn how to read the waterso that you can put them where the fish are.)

Blog Entries

If you have not done so check out the beginning fly tying portion of the board, excellent fish catching easy to tie flies. Don't get caught up in the Trout or Blue gill fly as Norman said pan fish can be caught on any trout fly.

this is my favorite fly from that series http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...ners/part9.php fish it dry, fish it wet its a great fly for when you don't know what to try. it just looks like food. I like it with Squirrel with a couple of strands of red crystal flash for the hackle, olive dubbing for the body. on a size 14 hook. I have taken a lot of gill and crappie on this one.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

The olive Woolly bugger...
    One fly to rule them all
    One fly to find them
    One fly to bring them all
    And to the tippet bind them.

Ed

I agree with EdD
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

+ Reply to Thread