Thread: Roof-Top Tents vs. Tent Trailers?

Threaded View

Default Roof-Top Tents vs. Tent Trailers?

I've been looking around recently for ways to make my fishing/camping trips more convenient and time efficient as time off has become rare, and when it does happen it is rarely longer than a weekend. Most of the places I fish are about 5 hours away and require camping, which at the moment takes about an hour for set up and takedown in addition to a bit of pre-trip preparation. I was recently offered a tent trailer (pop-up tent) at a decent price, and it got me thinking that this may be a way to decrease the pre-preparation time since the trailer can have all the camping gear stored in it already and may also decrease set-up/take-down time. The problem is that one of the places I like to fish is 4x4 accessible only, and I doubt I could tow a trailer in there. This got me looking at roof-top tents since it would eliminate the towing thing and provide mobility. Does anyone here have experience with roof-top tents and what do think are the pro's and con's. Would they be warm enough in the middle of winter with 0-15 degree weather at night? I go on these trips with my wife who isn't too fond of the cold, especially at night. Do you think they would cut down on pre-trip preparation very much or would they only increase the amount of time I set up and takedown camp since I would likely need to do this each day in order to drive from the campsite to the river? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by gpatton; 05-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.